Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a ML320 Benz '99-'01. I do see a few on ebay but will probably rely more on cars.com or autotrader.com. I have purchased smaller items,$100-$200 range but a car would be a major investment. Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences from buying vehicles online, preferably ebay. I am from the Southern Louisiana area, currently planning on taking a trip to the dallas/houston areas to check out some vehicles on cars.com/autotrader.com. Also, what about 3rd party car inspection company experiences.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Kappanaire, I think this is an excellent discussion! In the "old" days, we were limited in the used auto market to the dealer for trade-ins, local used car lots, newspaper classifeds and the occasional enthusiasts' magazine. So if you were in southern Louisiana or southern California, your selection was a factor of your location. And even more to the point, the price you paid for your "find" was greatly determined by your location.

Well, the market has changed... and I think it's changed for the better! I have made a couple of major purchases through Ebay, a used car and a boat, and I've been very satisfied with those purchases. The car was everything I would have asked for if I were ordering it from the dealer save the price, and I could have looked for years in my area and never found a used one like it. I am currently shopping for a used truck.

I'm a little put out lately with all the car lots and dealerships that sell through Ebay because I want to purchase through an individual, but it's no problem to click to the next choice! All the best and kind regards, allpoints360

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
ebay is not the most trustworthy site of earth. i myslf saw my own car up for auction there. there is a site called cardomain.com where people show off their cars, and what some kids do, is that they get those pictures and information that you put up, and sell it. that is why if you see a picture with a small somewhat transluscent white camera OR words that say cardomain.com insist that you must see other pictures before buying. and if you say another picture, make sure its unique by lets say putting a new newspaper in the picture as well

·
Registered
2001 E 430
17 Posts
Key issue for me on Ebay is the Seller's references. IF he has none, move along. If he has a high percentage with very few negatives, it is probably a safe experience.
I have bought 2 cars and a bunch of other stuff through E-bay and have no bad things to say. I bought both cars well below comparable price, and had budgeted 1/2 of the money saved in repairs.
Was right in both cases.

The main thing is "How has this dealer treated others?"

And of course, I post feedback on every transaction I do.

·
Registered
2007 E350 4MATIC
45 Posts
I've purchased to two vehicles from Ebay and I have to say they came out to be great vehicles. One was a 1999 E320 and the other was a 1990 325I. What you need to watch out for is the feedback of the seller. Please buy from a seller that has a great feedback record and not an individual that has no feedback which wants to get rid of their lemon. Also stay away from sellers that have bunch of negative replys. The two cars came out cheaper than buying from a dealer.

James:
1999 E320
2002 325I
1990 325I

·
Registered
14 Posts
here is a good ebay bargain

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7973826570&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

·
Registered
14 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7973826570&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
Bought my '00 E320 off ebay and couldn't be happier. Got a very clean unit at a below trade in price.

You have to do your homework and be very cautious.

I would only (only) do business with someone who has been selling cars - particularly very clean newer luxury cars for a year or two at minimum and has a sterling feedback rating. Check out with a records service to make sure the history is clean -- and get a local dealership to check the car out.

I would email and talk to the ebay dealer as well as to their previous purchasers.

The good sellers go out of their way to make sure you are happy with the purchase. They are trying to build a business and need your good feedback from a happy sale.

In my case, the car was advertised - in error - as having the factory CD player. When the car arrived without one, and I asked about it -- they researched it then paid to put a factory unit in the car at no charge.

Ebay can be a successful low cost business for a dealer if they remember basic business principles and don't get greedy.

They're out there. You just have to look carefully.

Of course private party sales can be good on ebay too, but require more scrutiny.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2000 E320 Wagon
14 Posts
I've bought two cars on eBay. Ford F-150 SuperCrew and E320 Wagon. Both purchases were made after asking seller lots of questions including "why are you selling?" Show interest and get lots of comments from the seller. Ask questions in a slightly different way to see if you get new answers. Email others who have bought from your seller to get even more feedback than the "one liner" eBay allows. I've found most buyers are quick to expand upon their one line "AAAAA++++++ Super eBayer" style comments which are basically worthless!
Email, phone and ask more information about your car. You'll know what a fair price is when you make the purchase.

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
[8D]
I found my car on Ebay and was the highest bidder, but not above the reserve price. When I got the "second chance" offer at my bid price, I called the dealer. Since it was only 40 miles away, I went to look at the car. I asked if I could take it out for an inspection and the sales rep said no, they would stand behind their advertised description.

The Ebay offer had expired by the time I got to the car, so the Ebay inspection feature could not be used and the Ebay guarantee did not apply.

After I bought the car directly from the dealer, I immediately drove it to an M-B expert for an inspection. I advised the dealer of the various small problems discovered and they paid to have them fixed.

Now if this car had been auctioned off above the reserve and shipped out of state, I don't know how well Ebay's guarantee would have worked to get the problems fixed and paid for.

Good luck,
Dave

·
Registered
2001 E 430
17 Posts
imon_2nd
E-bay's "Protections" are essentially worthless.
they have no real responsibility and if you read all of the
agreements attached to Bids, you find that there really
is nothing atttached to it.

The Key issue is "What are the Feedbacks?"

I bought a New (to me) 2001 E430 Sport that
has been a True Joy (so far). The Dealer did
similar to me transaction. I was high, no one
paid reserve price, we negotiated and he shipped
me the car. The independent garage I use has said
that "You ripped that dealer off bad man".
Give you a hint. 31K miles, Mint contition, less then
22K. Way less then 22 K.

My other auto (2 years ago) was a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Limited, big V8, all the goodies, (no GPS).

It was absolultely clean. Needed some work (4X4 stuff
wears out at 50K miles, I don't care who makes it) and it
has been a trooper for me.

Read the Reviews. Give them as well as look at them.
It is a community if you use it as such.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like to thank everyone out there who responded to my inquiry. It was very rewarding to hear others experiences and give myself more confidence in purchasing my new vehicle. I actually purchased a 2000 ML 320 from D.C. Friday... flew up there on a one-way ticket and drove back to new orleans on saturday....I feel like i got a good deal 63000 miles silver/light silver int. (would have preferred the darker charcoal but i'm satisfied.)$16K one or two minor scratches and nicks but definitely workable. Thanks everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts