Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 ML350 Bluetec
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 E420. This is the 115V alternator.
I have alternator loose and all disconnected, I just can't get the thing out of my car! I have removed fan, fan shroud, the fans in front of the radiator and evaporator and I can't squeeze it out anywhere. I have tried taking it out from underneath but can't figure it out. I have pushed the radiator and evaporator as far forward as I can without possibly damaging anything. Do I really need to take the entire radiator out??? Anyone out there have the Mercedes Service steps?? I have found plenty of instructions for v6 alternator replacement which seems to be a piece of cake. I have heard that this engine was used on many large models out there, if anyone has an idea I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,379 Posts
Hi. Probably better if your post had gone into the W210 forum, where the E420 guys hang out...

I'm not a MB tech, but I have a WIS with diagrams, etc, that covers your model. According to the page on this, it is removed downwards. However, there is a list of items to be removed first to get access...

0. disconnect battery
1. bottom engine panel
2. viscous fan coupling
3. ribbed V-belt
4. air pump (USA models only)
5. support bracket
6. electrical connections to the generator/alternator
7. generator fixing screws

Some of these are not straightforward, so you may need further information.

Let us know... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't get my alternator out of my 1997 e420.... I've tried every single angle i can think of! Does it come out the back or do I have to take stuff off the front?
Please HELP PLEAE!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts