Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing my bit to help reduce energy costs by replacing incandescents with new CFLs when this question came to me.

If one of the complaints about incans is that they waste energy be putting off a lot of heat that is not really light, then we must have learned to live with them as a mild source of heating. If one adds up all the heat coming from the incandescents which we will lose by switching bulb types, what will it cost to replace that amount of heat from another source?

When I turn on the 8 60W bulbs over my dual sink bath vanity I can feel the warmth being emitted. Isn't it logical that if replacement bulbs don't put out heat, my GFA furnace will have to make up the difference? Or is this where the government's centrally-controlled thermostat program steps in to keep the house temperature down?

·
Registered
1967 Irish/ Pole
3,968 Posts
Why do you have a gas forced air heater when you could use electric heat?

·
worst mod in BW history
ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
27,762 Posts
I was doing my bit to help reduce energy costs by replacing incandescents with new CFLs when this question came to me.

If one of the complaints about incans is that they waste energy be putting off a lot of heat that is not really light, then we must have learned to live with them as a mild source of heating. If one adds up all the heat coming from the incandescents which we will lose by switching bulb types, what will it cost to replace that amount of heat from another source?

When I turn on the 8 60W bulbs over my dual sink bath vanity I can feel the warmth being emitted. Isn't it logical that if replacement bulbs don't put out heat, my GFA furnace will have to make up the difference? Or is this where the government's centrally-controlled thermostat program steps in to keep the house temperature down?
The carb on your bong is obviously clogged and you're getting too much smoke.
While I was out of town, my freaking wife swapped out all the halogen spots in our humble basement theater for those twisted pretzel-like abominations. 16 in all. Not only do they protrude from the ceiling, but they have no dimming capabilities. I have to say they've come a long way from the green-ass bulbs a couple of years ago that cast everyone in a Munsters-ish shadow. I'm just not ready to impair my way of life so my grandchildren (who will probably be assholes) should have a better quality of life.

·
Surely A Large Human
MB Regretmobile
35,725 Posts
While I was out of town, my freaking wife swapped out all the halogen spots in our humble basement theater for those twisted pretzel-like abominations. 16 in all. Not only do they protrude from the ceiling, but they have no dimming capabilities. I have to say they've come a long way from the green-ass bulbs a couple of years ago that cast everyone in a Munsters-ish shadow. I'm just not ready to impair my way of life so my grandchildren (who will probably be assholes) should have a better quality of life.
Assuming of course they survive being eaten by your stark naked, shaved, latex body-suit wearing son. ;)

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
FYI, there are now four styles [shapes] of CFLs available, some of which CAN be dimmed [and the cool part is they stay the same color all through the dimming process as opposed to yellowing down].

As a second piece of information, National Geographic [part of that sneaky GCC Cabal] has a new magazine [both print and online - yes, I questioned why it would be print also] called Green Guide The Green Guide - green living tips, product reviews, environmental health news which is packed with very good information. I was greatly disappointed that there were no major companies trying to take large wads of my money, just a bucket load of commonsense [that might be hard for a few] tips to ease into this and to grab a better understanding.

And the answer for the print question, many read while in the head and in bed, not common places to be on-line and some people find leaving computers on all day to be a bit ungreen. If you don't have a business with/for them, it is.

·
Moderately subtle
94 E500, 97 500SL
12,089 Posts
FYI, there are now four styles [shapes] of CFLs available, some of which CAN be dimmed [and the cool part is they stay the same color all through the dimming process as opposed to yellowing down].

As a second piece of information, National Geographic [part of that sneaky GCC Cabal] has a new magazine [both print and online - yes, I questioned why it would be print also] called Green Guide The Green Guide - green living tips, product reviews, environmental health news which is packed with very good information. I was greatly disappointed that there were no major companies trying to take large wads of my money, just a bucket load of commonsense [that might be hard for a few] tips to ease into this and to grab a better understanding.

And the answer for the print question, many read while in the head and in bed, not common places to be on-line and some people find leaving computers on all day to be a bit ungreen. If you don't have a business with/for them, it is.
Drat . . . after changing several key bulbs to CF and converting the 500e to waste veggie oil, are you implying that printing out the threads of BWOT (including those long articles that TT and Bontst posts) so I can read them better is somehow not green?

·
Registered
Baby
9,689 Posts
good for the environment?

When mercury-containing lamps or tubes are placed in the trash and collected for disposal, the lamps or tubes are broken and mercury is released to the environment. Mercury vapors from broken lamps or tubes can be absorbed through the lungs into the bloodstream. People who are particularly close to the breakage are especially at risk. Mercury from broken lamps and tubes can also be washed by rain water into waterways.

·
Surely A Large Human
MB Regretmobile
35,725 Posts
^ The good news is, after playing light-saber fight with them a while (a la "40 Year Old Virgin"), you'll be so crazy that questions of the environment will never cross your mind.

I'd imagine it kinda like being Jayhawk, every single day.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
Drat . . . after changing several key bulbs to CF and converting the 500e to waste veggie oil, are you implying that printing out the threads of BWOT (including those long articles that TT and Bontst posts) so I can read them better is somehow not green?
Just use fully recycled paper and read away. :)

·
Registered
Baby
9,689 Posts
^ The good news is, after playing light-saber fight with them a while (a la "40 Year Old Virgin"), you'll be so crazy that questions of the environment will never cross your mind.

I'd imagine it kinda like being Jayhawk, every single day.

:thumbsup:
you know how I know you're gay? you macrame your own shorts. :D love that movie. thanks for the reminder.

·
Banned
2002 clk320
8,498 Posts
you know how I know you're gay?

Well as your own wife said, Yosey why are you going to visit 2 guys you met on the internet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts