Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 C230K
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow benzworld members, particularly east coast members:

With the current heat wave in the mid-atlantic states, I've got a question that has not been answered through any of my frequent google searches:

I'm currently living on the west coast, in the San Francisco Bay Area and it has not been hotter than 80 degrees where I live this year. I'm currently in the process of moving to Virginia and am worried about the effects of heat or humidity on my w202, which is why I am posting this thread.

East coast benzworld members, how are your cars performing right now? are they overheating at all or is the temp gauge a bit above the normal 87 degree operating temp? Are you guys having any issues due to this year's heat or am I worrying for no reason?

Your responses are greatly appreciated!

:D:D:D

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
Where in Virginia?

My 202 is running slightly warmer this year when the temp outside gets above the mid 90s outside, about the width of the temp needle above the 80c mark. I'm not that worried about it. My A/C seems to be working harder, as it would, to keep the cabin between 68F and 72F. That's really it. If any of your interior parts (headliner, sunroof liner, c pillar liner, etc.) have not started to degenerate yet, the heat, humidity and direct sun out here will eventually cause separation of the fabric from the panels. Virginia is a big state, coastal regions will have way different climates than the cities or mountains. Your 202 should be fine wherever.

·
Registered
1999 C230K
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charlottesville

I'm used to my temp needle being around the 90-95 mark when it is 80+ degrees outside, but the heat here is dry so I imagine it is a bit different than there (i've been to the east coast so I know what it's like but i'm speaking in terms of the car).

Thanks for the heads-up :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2005 Tundra Sold the 1998 C230
322 Posts
Hot and muggy down near Norfolk. No probs with overheating, ac does ok, not the coldest I've ever had, but once it's running down the road for a few mins, it's fine.

·
Registered
1994 sold/new White 2014 c250 sport/night eition
177 Posts
With the current heat wave in the mid-atlantic states, I've got a question that has not been answered through any of my frequent google searches:

Your responses are greatly appreciated!

:D:D:D
I live in TX and we have high temps ranging from 100's thru 108's:) some days dry heat others very humid/muggy and my c280 is plugging along just fine, usually between 90-95 ..... What I would suggest if you haven't already is give the car a coolent flush, and you shouldn't have any over heating problems:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor Special Edition
1,173 Posts
I have a problem with my lower radiator hose being too flexible, I believe it pinched up and started my car overheating. I will be changing my water pump as a preventative measure since I have to drain the fluid anyway.

My ac compressor is on the way out now. Humidity is hard on a compressor. After 12 years in Florida and Tennessee it is time for a new one.

·
Registered
1999 C230K
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should be good then, when I bought my 202, the A/C compressor was shot so I had the compressor and all A/C components replaced and recharged. I've done so much to this car with the most recent being replacing the leaking cam magnet. I absolutely love this car which is one of the main reasons why I made this thread, I'd hate to see it get beaten up by the weather, and it makes me worry less to know that it will acclimate faster than I will. I do have a sun shade so that should protect the interior, and I have been waxing and washing her consistently each week due to the smog and fog, which causes my car to look filthy. I can't wait to move :D

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
I should be good then, when I bought my 202, the A/C compressor was shot so I had the compressor and all A/C components replaced and recharged. I've done so much to this car with the most recent being replacing the leaking cam magnet. I absolutely love this car which is one of the main reasons why I made this thread, I'd hate to see it get beaten up by the weather, and it makes me worry less to know that it will acclimate faster than I will. I do have a sun shade so that should protect the interior, and I have been waxing and washing her consistently each week due to the smog and fog, which causes my car to look filthy. I can't wait to move :D

On waxing and paint protection... I put on Opti-Coat 2.0 on my SLK and C230 a few weeks ago. It's like witchcraft! My cars still look freshly polished, water beads up from the rain but doesn't leave any spots, it's like clear teflon. It's supposed to bond with the clear coat and last 2 years plus. And I haven't washed them since I treated the cars, only cleaned the wheels. Pictures don't do the shine justice. @ $60 for 20cc it will treat 3 small/medium sized cars.

·
Registered
1973 Mercedes 220; 1995 Mercedes C280; 1990 Jaguar XJS
6 Posts
The headliner falling down is the only issue we've had with our '95 C280. Finally had to get the headliner replaced and all is well once again. No overheating or A/C issues.

·
Registered
1771 Cugnot Steam Wagen
472 Posts
Same issue as Sparky. It seems the heat has taken a number on the headliner and it's collapsing. As I gradually get it on the road, the headliner is the last to do. You shouldn't have anything to worry about with a good running C. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts