Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night someone attempted to steal my 1987 190 2.6 right from my driveway, i thought it was my neighbors getting home so i never looked when the dog barked, They were clearly stupid to think that you can just pop the ignition in a Benz,,, they must have found out that they needed to do more than just stick a screw driver in the ignition, Well in the process of them attempting this they damaged the inside of the ignition lock column (tumbler),,, i can get a new one for $67 no problem right? Wrong! In order to get the old tumbler out the key has to be in the on position to use the Mercedes tool to release the lock column. My key will not turn at all due to the damage done to the inside components of the lock column. Has anyone ever been in any type fo situation like this? Mercedes said its a $120 job parts and labor if i can get the key to the on position, if not it will cost in excess of $600 because they have to remove the dash and grind the old ignition out. Is there anyway to release the ignition so i can atleast get it to the on position??? Someone Help,,, They want $$ i have 0

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had the same thing happen to me. Except I think it was a mechanic from Screwjacks (Lujacks Auto Sales Here in the quad cities. Dont go there) Anyways I had to pull apart the whole igniton system in my audi. Try making sure the steering wheel lockout mechanism is working, that would keep the key from turning, and try to insert the key into it move the key around in the ignition it just might pop back in, but never take it out. It didnt cost me a thing to fix (just a lot of time).

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well w/ the damage already having been done, it is going to be a bear to remove the ignition switch/key from the harness. The most cost effective way to swao this unit is to cut the harness from the rear & splice a new one in place.

· Registered
36,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would take it to mercedes and let them do their thing. Mine cost me 300 bucks (bastards ripped me off) and the key turned!!<br> <br> That guy was dumb! All he had to do as put it in neutral and roll it away, then he could do whatever he wanted to it away from your house. That's one thing that I do not like about these cars... the shifter moves with no key in the ignition!!!

· Registered
54 Posts
This is late. Someone did the same thing to me at the mall here, and i ended up drilling more of the tumbler until it would let me turn it, then i drove it home and removed it and installed a new one

· Registered
300gd canvas top
56 Posts
you have my sympathy, my lock crashed of its on accord on my 2.3 16valve and i had to get a guy from 40miles away to come and sort it.he charged £220 and would not let me see how he did it.he warned me the lock on my 300te 4matic would do the same and i should change the lock barrel as soon as it became stiff to turn the key,this was a year back and it started to get stiff last week so i just had it changed, cost,£30 for a barrel, matched to the existing key by my dealer.i would have to suggest you bite the bullet and have your dealer do the job, at least you will know it has been done right.anyone else with a key difficult to turn in the ignition lock really should get it changed asap.this is one of those jobs that really is worth the old saying "prevention is better than cure". good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.