Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'll try re-snapping everything together again. Its like my gas gauge can't move because its tight. When I move the dials on the other gauges, they seem lose compared to the gas gauge.

Anyhow I attempted the pixel fix but didn't work, which is okay. Decided to leave it alone, the important ones show anyway. So I put everything back together carefully, plugged the cluster back in and turned on the car to make srue everything was working and noticed the gas gauge was not accurate.

The pic is of my gas gauge with the car off and key out. The gas gauge doesn't go down to the bottom like it used to. Also when I turn the car on at this point the needle goes to full, which isn't accurate either because prior to attempting the pixel fix it was just roughly below the 2nd line. So right now its not reading accurately.

Now I regret attempting it. Everything was cool until this point. Please help. I'm suppose to be taking this on a roadtrip thsi coming weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 E350 :-) 2002 E320 (sold)
432 Posts
Did you remove the gas needle when you took the cluster apart? Did you push down on the center of the needle too far and jam it? When I fixed my pixels, the needles did sort of the same thing and one actually just hung down limp. I took it apart, pulled the needles off, and then reset them gently. I also had to rotate the needles clockwise and counterclockwise until I felt resistance and then set the high and low limits of the gauges by stopping at the full and empty marks.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
...Please help. I'm suppose to be taking this on a road trip this coming weekend.
If necessary, a road trip should be O.K. as you are right now. Just keep an eye on the instrument cluster screen that tells you how much fuel you have in the tank. Use the up/down arrows until you get to the A/B service due screen. Then hit either button that looks like overlapping pages until you see it. You should also see a screen telling you how many miles you can drive but I don't think that's totally accurate because it's a calculation based on the average MPG times the gallons left.

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you remove the gas needle when you took the cluster apart? Did you push down on the center of the needle too far and jam it? When I fixed my pixels, the needles did sort of the same thing and one actually just hung down limp. I took it apart, pulled the needles off, and then reset them gently. I also had to rotate the needles clockwise and counterclockwise until I felt resistance and then set the high and low limits of the gauges by stopping at the full and empty marks.
I will have to check the needles. The resistance on the fuel gauge was higher than the rest if them. How did you set the limits?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I will have to check the needles. The resistance on the fuel gauge was higher than the rest if them. How did you set the limits?
You just rotate the needle one way until you feel slight resistance, then you rotate it back the other way until you feel slight resistance, then you go back the first way and you will feel resistance again. When you hit one of the full or empty marks, STOP turning the needle. Then go the other way until you hit the opposite full or empty mark.
Basically, you are telling the gauge where the full and empty marks are. When you start the car, the needle should be in the correct position based on gas in your tank. It sounds odd, but it works.

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Okay I seemed to have gotten the needle resistance fixed, because I did not snap a piece in all the way. Now I double-checked everything and went to plug it in and now I'm getting a "display defective" message with a lightning bolt arrow. When you initially put the key in the miles are suppose to show, but it does not. The car starts but the gauges don't work and the warning lights all light up and I can also hear the radiator fan turn on right away.

I need to try and get this fixed tonite as I drive this car to work tomorrow. Can it be driven without the cluster?

·
Registered
432 Posts
A mild pain in the neck, I know. When that happened to mine, I removed the two plugs in the back of the cluster, made sure there was no dirt or bent pins, then I reconnected it. All was well. It may just be a bad connection.
I'm no expert on driving w/o the cluster, but people on here say you can with no damage. Do a quick search and you will see it.

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah I've disconnected and reconnected several times but getting the same issue. I've even tried blowing air into both plug and cluster connector and nothing......Another weird thing I noticed, I can turn my radio on without the key in the ignition and driver side door open. Normally if the key is out the radio will still work until I open the door....right?

I don't know what else to do.

I just had the tranny and differential fluid done today in preparation for my road trip and this happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts