Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here done this, i need to do it for my work i guess the crane will be about 2half ton in weight. At present i dont have the rubber mounted rear chassis that i understand it needs to be mounted to.
Have been told that i cant fit it directly to the mog chassis as i will crack it? Have also been offered the bed off of a 404 mog with the 3 point rear mounted chassis, would that fit onto my 406 mog? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi i have not decided that yet, but am thinking up behind the cab would be better, right in the middle of the machine. Not sure how people fix it there? thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the pics, food for thought. It looks like if crane is mounted behind cab there is another metal sub frame made up out of 6by 3 channel, how is this fixed to the mog chassis front an rear, is it bolted to mog, or run in on rubbers an then bolted?

·
Registered
U1450L DOKA
9,589 Posts
It's called a spider or crane sub-frame, and, personally, I'd go to the HIAB website (and ATLAS CRANE, etc.) To look for info.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks i think i will look out for a crane sub frame, do you know if the crane sub frame for the unimog is fitted on the 3 points of fixing from the rear of the chassis? so it will be a bit flexable on the rubber mounts?

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
Chunker, is your 406 a Case MB-4/94? If so, Case built a platform specifically for mounting a crane at the rear of the case deck. Chances of finding one are low but that might give you a few ideas of how to do it. There are pictures in the Case MB-4/94 manuals.

I have a 40' hydraulic boom Pitman Polecat with 18" auger that mounts this way.

Bob

·
Registered
U140 , U900 , 419 SEE
1,088 Posts
What would the mounting look like if someone wanted to mount a traditional 2 outrigger knuckle, and not go with the subframe, 4 outrigger system, ?

ACUF

·
Registered
a couple round ones
1,323 Posts
You are not going to get flex from a crane subframe... The only flex is what the mog suspension and frame will give you. Any little rubber mounts are going to squished beyond belief when you set down 2-3 tons on them.

G Vavra

·
Registered
U140 , U900 , 419 SEE
1,088 Posts
..Rather, what would be the location on the chassis, etc, and what should be considered when making a custom fiittment of a knuckle w/ the 2 outriggers?

Can anyone shed any light on this subject?

ACUF

·
Registered
219 Posts
Is it just me or does it sound like you are fabricating a crane attachment to your truck and you have no idea what the physics are behind it. Isn't that pretty dangereous ?!?!?! Would not a set standard be the safer way to go even if a little bit more $$ . Don't read this wrong I just do no want to be reading your Obit anytime soon saying didn't we know him ?!?! :surrender:

·
Registered
U140 , U900 , 419 SEE
1,088 Posts
No, it's you. I won't proceed with any design until It's been tested by other Unimog owners. I'm just looking for some feedback on how knuckle booms are attached, not drawing up plans to attach one! Appreciate the concern though!

ACUF

·
Registered
a couple round ones
1,323 Posts
ACUF
On my crane subframe, the frame at the cab end has ''arms'' that extend downward and pin to the frame into re-in-forced holes, just behind the fender area. You can see it in this pic if you look closely.
Now with mine I have the 4 outriggers so my frame goes right to the end of my ""mog"" frame. At the rear it is just sitting on the frame and is held there with two bolts.
Looking at that pic of the 406 it looks like the 2outrigger set up is held in place at the forward end with the arms, and terminates at the air tank area.
It's a clever design as it distributes the load and locks it into place and it does have the ease removal going for it.
Not sure if this answers any questions but might be food for thought.
G Vavra

Attachments

·
Registered
U140 , U900 , 419 SEE
1,088 Posts
Yes, this is what I was asking about. The attachment points. Will you please post a picture of what it looks like on your subframe, where it attache to the chassis of the unimog, below the cab? Thank you!

ACUF

1 - 20 of 25 Posts