Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Axel, attached image part #17 (lower rear window frame ? ???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
11,191 Posts
Is this part what usually rots out when water gets under the rubber seal? I take it this is common on 126 cars. How hard is the bottom frame to replace? What is the cost of the part?

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
Is this part what usually rots out when water gets under the rubber seal? I take it this is common on 126 cars. How hard is the bottom frame to replace? What is the cost of the part?
Figure about $1,400 for the complete repair. :(

It's not that particular part, which is about $100, but you have to remove the rear window and will need a new $160 gasket for that. Then you need to cut out the rusted parts, weld in the new piece, then smooth and paint. Followed by the re-installation of the rear window.

There is a high risk of breaking the rear window during the removal or re-installation. In which case you can add another $1,300 to the total bill. :eek:

Proceed with extreme caution..........

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glass did not break, Yeah. here is a crappy cell phone pic lower window frame rust.
body shop says they think they will repair rather than replace the lower frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep not soo bad. BTY the bottom frame piece is like $100 from dealer

if anyone needs one i have it $70

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Repair : always the question of rust popping up again in the future after your nice, crisp paint job is complete. This depends on how well of a job the body shop does in eradicating and properly treating the metal before primering.

Replace : Gets the question out of your mind, obviously. :)

Glass did not break, Yeah. here is a crappy cell phone pic lower window frame rust.
body shop says they think they will repair rather than replace the lower frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts