Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i added automatic transmission fluid for my power steering reservoir. is that ok? i saw some members did so on purpose, but im sure they have their more than valid reasons.

my mechanic used to do this to my w140, which cured my hard and uncomfortable steering issues. and since the steering wheel on my 90 500sl had been moaning whenever it steered i checked PS fluid yesterday. shockingly low! i kind of freaked out and filled it up with ATF.

handling seems to be less responsive steering wise; as if the wheel lost a little bit of its magnetic touch, and became lighter, but gear shifts much smoother, and more responsive.

please, guys, did i do something really wrong? should i flush out the system asap and refill it with PS fluid instead?
and, just how bad is it to mix different types of fluids? and different types of engine oils?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
2000 ML320
45 Posts
ATF and PS fluid are generally immiscible, from my experience. If I were you I'd flush the system and go one way or the other. I seriously doubt you'd kill your pump running straight ATF, but the differing viscosities of the two fluids you're currently using could cause a 'chunky' feeling when you turn.

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ATF and PS fluid are generally immiscible, from my experience. If I were you I'd flush the system and go one way or the other. I seriously doubt you'd kill your pump running straight ATF, but the differing viscosities of the two fluids you're currently using could cause a 'chunky' feeling when you turn.
PS fluid is thicker than ATF viscosity wise?
chunky i am not sure. any other descriptions? hopefully ATF will take over. just don't want to damage my system mixing these.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Low on fluid = LEAKS.

CK the hoses.

I run on DexronIII it is MB approved.
Recirculating ball steering runs perfect on DexronIII.

Rack and pinion NO.

You are FINE.

You may have air in the system.....

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
1987 560SL Gone but not forgotten! & 1999 SL500 For Now
745 Posts
iris.
I believe Albert is correct. Look in the 'blue stickies' for the specs sheet on acceptable fluids that meet MB specs.

That said, I've always been told that one or the other (ATF or PS Fluid) work just fine; but they shouldn't be co-mingled. Before you drain and replace w/fluid of choice, consider adding a leak trace additive to determine where your system leaked so much fluid and repair after draining/before filling. Avoid the temptation or 'sales pitch' to add a 'stop leak' type of product to your system.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Of the subject but related.
If you get air in the system, in order to take the air out/ removed, it will take about 30 times turning the steering wheel, (lock to lock) of the ground engine off.
Or driving 30 miles.
That is gentlemen, MB recommendations.

regards.
aam.

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of the subject but related.
If you get air in the system, in order to take the air out/ removed, it will take about 30 times turning the steering wheel, (lock to lock) of the ground engine off.
Or driving 30 miles.
That is gentlemen, MB recommendations.

regards.
aam.
albert,
engine off, but key in lock position 2? 30 times.
i can't even screw off a rusty nut when changing the battery (had to ask the passing by fedex guy to give me hand, which he gladly did). just how strong do you think i am? lol;)

maybe we will just drive it straight for 30 miles. but good to know expert advice;)
cheers.

·
Registered
R170, W124
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
iris.
I believe Albert is correct. Look in the 'blue stickies' for the specs sheet on acceptable fluids that meet MB specs.

That said, I've always been told that one or the other (ATF or PS Fluid) work just fine; but they shouldn't be co-mingled. Before you drain and replace w/fluid of choice, consider adding a leak trace additive to determine where your system leaked so much fluid and repair after draining/before filling. Avoid the temptation or 'sales pitch' to add a 'stop leak' type of product to your system.
here is what i added. //smileys.

Attachments

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
albert,
engine off, but key in lock position 2? 30 times.
i can't even screw off a rusty nut when changing the battery (had to ask the passing by fedex guy to give me hand, which he gladly did). just how strong do you think i am? lol;)

maybe we will just drive it straight for 30 miles. but good to know expert advice;)
cheers.

Can't unscrew a nut?
You are not one of those vegetarians, I hope....

Get some good calories in your engine.
But not the amount that I.....

Every year I am getting heavier, shit. Lol.
Preferable is to do it the hard way, wheels of the floor.
The pump will thank you.

Regards,
aam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts