Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
E240 V6 '98, C180 '97
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all,

I topped up the transmission a couple of days ago having gone through the whole drill....drove it for a half-hour, parked on a level surface, went through all the gears, checked the level and topped up a litre or a quart as it was low on the dipstick. The level checked out ok after having gone through the gears again and that was that (It was just a routine check...no visible oil leak or anything...just a routine check).

I went for a spin today and the first thing I noticed was a smell in the cabin of the transmission fluid...just a hint, not overwhelming but definately in the air. I have never smelt this before and is obvious after the top up.
My question is does anyone think there is a problem or a throw back of oil somewhere....or am I just being picky ???:confused::confused::confused:

Regards and happy motoring

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I guess the first thing I would ask myself is why was I a liter or a quart low. That just seems to be a large volume to add. To me that is.

In any event I would put the car on a lift and start nosing all around the transmission. I just don't think the smell is natural. Good luck!!

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Half hour drive might not be long enough to raise the transmission fluid to 80'C

·
Registered
E240 V6 '98, C180 '97
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
G'day all,

All very appropriate reasoning. The half-hour drive was form the stickies...dont have an temp gauge to check but was hoping the stickies were pretty spot on....If the plug was leaking wouldnt there be any oil visible on the ground. Definately didnt spill any on the motor.
Will check underneath nd let u all know.

Regards and happy motoring

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
My plug was leaking but there was no fluid on the driveway. I can't remember if the under belly pan catches drips from there but I know it captures motor oil. If it is leaking, as I'm sure you have read in the stickys, you need to replace it before ATF starts wicking up the wires and wastes the TCU.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Ditto to Southern. If you are smelling ATF in the interior (aka through the heating/cooling vents) chances are good that it's dripping onto the exhaust manifold, burning, and being pulled into the car through the climate control system. Oil leaks, at least from the valve cover gaskets, do the same thing.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Didi you make sure that the o-ring is in place on the filler cap? On my car, the o-ring was split when I removed the cap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts