Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am planning to change the ATF but not sure where to get the ATF from.
The original one from the dealer is so expensive, is there any other ATF that meets the specs and I can find from a local auto parts place like Autozone or etc???

THank you...

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Yes there are a couple of approved ATF other than the one with the MB star on the bottle (Fuchs Shell and Mobil come to mind). Check up in the stickys at the top of the page and look for the Transmission FAQ thread.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
If you are planning a "pan pull ands replace" which changes about 1/2 the fluid, then I would advise sticking with OE fluid (or you end up with a unknown mix), if you are doing the pump out and full exchange, Valvoline MaxLife has been well spoken of as a alternative.

Keep the faith !

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Best not to mix

Ditto to fabbrisd1,

Please don't mix ATF and I forgot about Maxlife earlier. More than likely your car has the MB 236.10 fluid and you can still buy that. Unfortunately I think it's the most expensive of the OE fluids (vs. 236.12 and 236.14).

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Please remember that you are driving a $50,000 car. While you didn't pay that for it, the engineering and technology are very sophisticated. This is not the way to take care of it, by complaining that the proper maintenance is expensive. It's not a Ford. If you approach it with a Ford mentality, you'll end up with an expensive lawn ornament.

You will not find much for your car in common auto parts stores. Dealer or the net for most stuff. The transmission is $3K for a rebuilt plus labor. The wrong fluid destroys it. So either use the spec fluid or just leave it alone.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have to disagree with people saying that only MB approved fluids should be used. While it is a sure bet to only use MB approved fluids, it is not the only one. I have been using different fluids in 722.6 trannys for over 10 years now in my cars, without a single mechanical failure. I always use a synthetic Dexron 3 ATF with a Lubegard Platinum treatment, and this combo works exceptionally well, and provides for a very smooth operating transmission. This combination of fluids actually far exceeds the OEM fluid quality. After all, the MB OEM ATF is nothing more than a friction modified Dexron 3 ATF. Also, Lubegard line of products are appoved by many OEM's including Mercedes Benz.

LUBEGARD Platinum Universal ATF Protectant

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Please be prepared for a barrage of criticism. I think this website looks nice and seems credible, but until I see a bonified/published MB recommendation for their products, I'll not pour anything they make into my crankcase or my fuel tank. But I am glad that these additives have worked well for you.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Disregarding the original bogus spec "sealed for life" = with the correct MB spec tranny fluid we have a tranny that will go past 200K miles with no issues - why take any risk to change to "cheaper" or "vendor claim superior" non-approved fluids ?

I already take issue with "backwards compatible MB" updated fluids for our trannies, if for no other reason than both my MB indie and MB dealer mechancis say so too.

All to "save" $60 or $70 on the fluid for the infrequent tranny fluid change ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
My intentions are to help out and inform. If that draws some criticism my way, I cant help it. First of all, a bit about myself. Im a technician, working mostly on MB and BMW, among other european brands. I have been an ASE certified technician since high school. 90% of the cars I have owned have been MB, and I have owned a lot of cars. That is alot of cars to test out different products on. And like I said in my previous posts, when it comes to transmissions, 722.6 in particular, I have always used the specified Lubegard product. I attend SEMA almost every year. I came across Lubegard booth at SEMA one year long time ago, and asked them if they had something that would fix a rough shifting/shuddering BMW transmisison. It was '98 740i I was inquiring about, which for those of you that dont know, like MB, has a sealed transmission, with "lifetime fluid". I explained to them what I have tried, but nothing has seemed to work for more that a month(including the OEM BMW ATF), especially with the shuddering issue. they told me that the high operating temps were most likely the underlying issue here, which made sense. Anyways, one of the reps handed me a bottle of their platinum transmission treatment and told me to try it out as per directions on the bottle. Long story short, it was the first and only thing that fixed that transmission for good. I drove that car for about 2 years afterwards, and when I sold it to a person who became a customer, the trans was still operating flawlessly for as long as that person owned the car. I havent seen that vehicle since it changed owners.
And when it comes to MB transmissions, especially the 722.6 series, I swear by the Lubegard products. I dont mean to sound like a salesman, but all of their products are top notch in my book.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I have no problem with bona fide additives, but what about the statement you made as "approved by m,any OEMS including MB" ?

Not a shot, but a question.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have no problem with bona fide additives, but what about the statement you made as "approved by m,any OEMS including MB" ?

Not a shot, but a question.
LUBEGARD Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant

http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/OEMsuseLubegard.pdf

this is refering to their original product, but I remember from the literature I got at SEMA, it specified SAAB, MB, BMW, VW and a few others.

also, here is an older post from these forums by another member who used lubegard and actually contacted them and posted their response.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e50-amg-e55-amg/1276145-transmission-fluid-change-questions-2.html#post2004702

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
I had my ATF done about a month ago. I'm the second owner of my 2000 E320. Not sure what ATF was in there before but the ATF was changed out before. I just did a pan drop and refill, drained out about 5qts. I ordered my filter/gaskets from rmeuropean ($26/shipped) and ordered 6qts of shell 134 ATF ($36/shipped), which is MB certified. Bought 2qts of synthetic gear oil ($15) for my differential. Figured to do the differential at the same time.

Have driven the car over 1k miles and no issues. It actualy shifts smoother than it did.

Heres the thread I started on this same subject along with links for the parts if you choose to order them there: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1549541-where-get-atf-good-deal-3.html

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
nenad16,

Thanks for posting your background. People like you are always welcome to contribute and solve problems. I hope you'll continue to stop by the W210 forum.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Let me repeat "I already take issue with "backwards compatible MB" updated fluids for our trannies, if for no other reason than both my MB indie and MB dealer mechanics say so too. All to "save" $60 or $70 on the fluid for the infrequent tranny fluid change ?"

That fluid is the newer 7 speed fluid MB now claims is "backwards compatible" for our tranny's - and both my MB indie and my MB dealer mechanic choose not to use it for our trannies.

Again, if you are doing a pan+pull then if you use the 7 spped fluid you will have a unknown mix with your existing 5 speed fluid - and that is not any benefit, its all risk.

Now, the FUCHs OEM fluid for our 5 speed is $11.81 surface freight paid, if you buy 5 bottles, so you are spending less than a buck a bottle more for 5 speed correct tranny fluid:

Your Parts Search Returned 2 Part(s)

Good luck with your decision !

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
The AFTs approved by MB for the 772.6 transmissions are found in: MB 236.14 - Automatic transmission fluids (ATF, Specification 236.14) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids. This spec sheet includes 5 and 7 speed transmissions for compatable fluids.

MB 236.14 ATF NAG2VSport A 001 989 68 03 is an approved fluid on this spec list. I have changed out fluid, connectors and filters on two 772.6 transmissions using 9 liters (for each car). Did not use the converter plug on our pre-2000 model, but changed out 3.5 L with pan drop, and 2.5 L with successive drains during next two subsequent oil changes. (Not a complete flush, but close - and an easier DIY) Its a good investment to changeout the electrical plug for the transmission, and to get a spare drain plug with 3 crush washers. The drain plug can be stripped during removal - a spare is good to have. Ordering a dipstick is a necessity IMHO. Should replace the pan gasket during the pan drop.

Lubeguard products are not on this list.:eek:

The MB 772.6 ATF bulletin referring users to the MB Operating Fluids Specification Bevo 236.14 spec sheet is attached below. It was published in 2008, but the extranet BeVo link is current.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts