Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

Bought 1994 C200 Automatic last week. Checked ATF tank the level is low. I have no idea which brand/type is good to use for it. The liquid in tank is pink (that's all I know).
Please recommend me right ATF:confused:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I second that... this way you know the fluid is fresh and correct...

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
The correct fluid for that transmission (the 722.4 4 speed automatic) is Dexron III. You can buy that from any auto parts store. I agree with other posters that if you just bought the car it would be a good idea to drain the transmission fluid (including the torque converter - you have a drain plug on that), drop the pan, replace the filter and then refill the transmission. Unless of course you have receipts that show the fluid having been replaced within the last 2 years or 48,000 kms.

Don't feel the need to put the MB special transmission fluid in this transmission. You'll be spending money that you don't need to spend - that stuff is way expensive. It only applies to W202 models 97-2000

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The correct fluid for that transmission (the 722.4 4 speed automatic) is Dexron III. You can buy that from any auto parts store. I agree with other posters that if you just bought the car it would be a good idea to drain the transmission fluid (including the torque converter - you have a drain plug on that), drop the pan, replace the filter and then refill the transmission. Unless of course you have receipts that show the fluid having been replaced within the last 2 years or 48,000 kms.

Don't feel the need to put the MB special transmission fluid in this transmission. You'll be spending money that you don't need to spend - that stuff is way expensive. It only applies to W202 models 97-2000
Thanks!
I will eventually drain it all and put the new stuff in it, but for the this month I'm short of money and will try to get by with a title refill.
By the way, I thought MB 1994 was W202 and 97-2000 W203? Am I wrong?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone ever decided if there is an equivalent fluid for the 722.6 tranny, some say the Chrysler atf +4 spec works, others say no. The cheapest MB fluid is 14.40 a liter, which I just brought x 9.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF successfully in older (pre '97) MB trannies, although please note that Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is NOT on MB's list of approved fluids; however, Mobil 1 states compatibility with all Dexron III systems.

The local dealers sell regular (non-synthetic) Quaker State Dexron III ATF for the older trannies which is approved by MB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts