Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
S600, 350SL, C300
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since MB does not trust just ANY person to check the transmission fluid in my car[:D] and being a slightly anal retentive person, I bought the shop tool for the new electronic transmission - Dipstick (part # 140-589-15-21). Poked it in and found that the level would barely register when cold and the fluid did not taste or smell[xx(]like I thought it should. Since I had a slight leak from the pan gasket, I replaced the pan gasket, fluid and filter at 42K. Drained out 4.5 quarts and put in the recopmmended 5 quarts of MB ATF fluid. Filter was in good shape with jest a few machinings in the material and the fluid was brown, but not burned.

Now the level registers midpoint when cold and standing and below the min level when hot and running. My previous experience with MB says the level should be midway when the fluid is hot and the engine running.

Since the dipstick came without directions, my questions are:

1. How far is the dipstick inserted? 'till it touches pan bottom as I have assumed?

2. Is the level measured with the engine running or off?

I hope that someone who has been trained in this very complicated and esoteric procedure [;)] can answer this question or has access to the secret MB directions.

TIA

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Get yourself a length of either piano wire ir curtain wound wire.. take out the dipstick insert the wire witdraw measure difference between two....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts