Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 CLK320
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 99 CLK320 with 62K miles on the odometer and was contemplating whether to purchase an extended warranty before my car reached 100K. My original intent was to wait it out until the car hits the 90K mark but now I'm not so sure in light of some recent issues that have arisen with my 7 months old '02 C320. Could y'all give me some insight into some personal experiences with the overall reliability of the CLK? Any information that you could offer about any specific warranty carrier would be a great help. Thanks in advance.
[:D]

·
Registered
'99 CLK320
30 Posts
1sourcewarranty.com and warrantygold.com seem to have received generally good feedback, ...

1sourcewarranty.com and warrantygold.com seem to have received generally good feedback, although I have neither and no personal experience with either. I believe you'll want an exclusionairy policy, and one that covers wear and tear. I think you'd pay about $3000 for a 3yr/36k warranty. You may have to pass an inspection or go through a waiting period.

I think if you waited until 90K you might not even be eligible...Why wait anyway?

I have a '99 (with only 24k miles) and just had a warranty claim for $1600 to replace the hvac blower motor and regulator, and ball joints.

·
Registered
99 CLK320
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I have seen advertisements from these companies but I didn't know ...

Thanks for your reply. I have seen advertisements from these companies but I didn't know anyone who actually had first hand experience dealing with them.

I don't mind paying the premium but I do expect professionalism and courtesy in return when I do make a claim. I purchased a brand new 3rd generation Mazda RX-7, with sequential turbos, back in 1993 along with an extended warranty for 7yrs/125,000 miles. I thought the warranty was a bargain for $895 since it was coverage for a high performance vehicle. Well, three-and-a-half years and 86,000 miles later, I had to tow the car in for an engine, clutch and turbos replacement among other things. I call the warranty company to report my claim and I got the rudest and biggest *ssh#le you could ever hope to meet. From the get go, he accused of everything in the book for the condition that my car was in but fortunately the Mazda serviceman informed him that a rebuild at 80-90K was pretty standard for these motors. The adjuster then insisted that I produce all service records including records for all oil changes at every three thousand miles or else it would void my warranty. It took me two nights to rummage through all my records but I managed to produce everything he had requested (thank goodness for my mom's constant nagging about saving all my receipts and records when I was growing up).

You would think that this would be the end of it but this dumb*ss adjuster goes out of his way to purchase used parts and made a request that Mazda install it on my car. Thank goodness for sensiblities and common decency because Mazda told him straight up that they do not install junk parts. When it was all said and done, the total bill came out to be $8,300 for a "new" motor, two turbos and an AC unit...the clutch of course was not covered.

Sorry, I seem to have digress a little there...but you're right, why wait? All I need now is enough positive feedback about any of these warranty carriers to take the plunge.
[^]

·
Registered
'99 CLK320
30 Posts
You can do some research on the web. There is one site that lists of about 20 or 30 war...

You can do some research on the web. There is one site that lists of about 20 or 30 warranty companies and gives some ratings, recomendations (and warnings about some companies.) I don't recall the name of the site, and I am not absolutely positive about what their interests are. But at the very least, I might stay away from the ones that have complaints about.

Also, you can look at the better business bureau site to see how many complaints have been filed about companies, and how many resolved. Comparing the records of some of them is enlightening.

You can also see how the insurer is rated by AM best.

The 2 I mentioned seemed to me to have generally positve information.

I bought my warranty from carmax and the claim was paid (to a mercedes dealer!) with no problem whatsoever. I wasn't even aware of the ball joint problem. The dealer reported it and they paid it, no problem.

·
Registered
'99 CLK320
30 Posts
Also! Most of these site will give you an instant quote just by putting in your cars ma...

Also! Most of these site will give you an instant quote just by putting in your cars make, model, year, and mileage. Keep in mind the exclusionary policy and wear and tear coverage.

·
Registered
'99 CLK320
30 Posts
By the way, have any other members had any positive or negative experiences with these c...

By the way, have any other members had any positive or negative experiences with these companies??

·
Registered
71 Posts
RE: Warranty.

I baught a warranty for my brothers 98 M3 and dont regret it one bit. It saves you so much stress and you can actually enjoy your car. I could not get a warranty for my car because it is a V12. On my brothers car it has paid for itself in the first year. It is almost just like the origional warranty. All I do is bring it down to the dealership and they do everything. They fix the car, give me a rental car, and bill the warranty company. It is totally worth it. If I were you I would get the full warranty which covers everything (bumper to bumper) for 150K miles and 7 years. Also if I were you I would talk with your local MBZ dealer and ask them if they will bill the warranty company for you when and if you have any problems. -Hope this helps. -Kristian
[;)][;)]

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
50 Posts
I had an aftermarket warranty from warrantbynet.com on my 97 Yukon, and when I purcha...

I had an aftermarket warranty from warrantbynet.com on my 97 Yukon, and when I purchased my 99 ML430 they gave me credit for the difference left on the policy from the Yukon. While I had the Yukon they paid for all my claims with a corporate credit card. They even include a tow service. Just read carefully because there are differences between companies. I think the only requirement is the shop must ASE Certified and they never specified an hourly rate limit.

Corey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts