Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dire warning about splitting callipers aside,
Does anyone know the spec or PN for the rear calliper internal seal - the one that seals the two halves?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,415 Posts
I recently read on here that part is not available. Let's hope I'm wrong and someone has some better information for you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normally it is either a quad ring or an o-ring. I am a bit loath to split them for sandblasting and honing as I am in Thailand and the part might be difficult to source, so best to have it in hand first

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
385 Posts
is it the very small o rings that are between the two calipers I maybe able to source a set i recently split my calipers shot blasted then zinc and gold passivate with high temp lacquer on top dont know how well they will hold up
need to find which angle the pistons face when in the bores as i ididnt take any pics on removal

·
Outstanding Contributor
350SDL, '17 GLS450, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
3,023 Posts
need to find which angle the pistons face when in the bores as i ididnt take any pics on removal
You're stirring ancient memories...

If you mean the 1/3 or so of the piston that doesn't contact the pad, IIRC, that portion is positioned over the leading edge of the pad. The outboard edge of the cutout ends at about 2:00 and the inboard at about 9:00. I used to have a wedge shaped tool to stick in there, but haven't seen it in 20 years. (Found this picture,)
ate caliper tool.jpg

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
385 Posts
thanks john350 i could make a 20 degree template i will have a look at the pistons cannnot remember how the face is im assuming thy have a lip of somesort that sits on the 20 degree angle
are the fronts the same

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,023 Posts
The part under the template is cut back slightly so it doesn't contact the pad. The template contacts the step. It'll be obvious when you have it in hand.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,023 Posts
Even pressure tends to cause the leading edge to try to roll under and the trailing edge to lift away from the disk. Removing the direct pressure on the leading edge tends to even out the contact.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,052 Posts
I never looked for a W126 but on my W123 you can go to the Centric Brake Parts Catalog and take a look. On the W123 the seal kit has the O-ring that goes between the Calipers.
Note I have been splitting the calipers (taking them apart) on all of the vehicles that I have owned since the 1970's with no issue.
On the W123 the bolt grade is 12 something and I had trouble finding a torque chart with the torque on it. I found a torque chart that had a 12 something grade and I used that torque.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,052 Posts
Kit 143.9001 ATE Rear no heat shields but has the little O-rings for between the calipers. Use the part number to shop with.
ATE Front Caliper Kit by Centric 143_35007_View1.jpg Centric Kits 1986.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is it the very small o rings that are between the two calipers I maybe able to source a set i recently split my calipers shot blasted then zinc and gold passivate with high temp lacquer on top dont know how well they will hold up
Yes the seal between the calliper halves. A PN or dimensions would be appreciated as it would be nice to source one locally rather than to have to import from the US

Viton (a brownish colour) or EDPM?

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,052 Posts
In the previous thread the picture of the Kit the one that has the heat shields is actually for the ATE Fronts on my W123. The part number is correct for the rear on the W126.
Here is a pic if the correct kit that comes with no heat shields. Again part number 143.9001
ATE Rear Caliper Kit  by Centric 143_90011_View1.jpg

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,052 Posts
Yes the seal between the calliper halves. A PN or dimensions would be appreciated as it would be nice to source one locally rather than to have to import from the US

Viton (a brownish colour) or EDPM?
This is from my very old notes. I don't know if the dimensions are correct but what O-rings and seals are supposed to be made of for exposure to brake fluid is.
http://www.performatek.com/ Contact info: http://www.performatek.com/frContact.htm
Ethylene-propylene (EPDM) square cross section o-rings. I am still trying to determine the exact size but they are something like 9.5mm OD; 4.75mm ID and are about 1.5mm thick. That’s about 3/8” OD; 3/16” ID and 1/16” thick.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,052 Posts
I forgot to mention that I have used the Centric Caliper Kits on my 2 US Gasses as well as my W123 with no issues at all.
Also my earlier posts were done on the excellent computers at the library but like now I am at home where I only have dial up on the regular phone lines.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is from my very old notes. I don't know if the dimensions are correct but what O-rings and seals are supposed to be made of for exposure to brake fluid is.
http://www.performatek.com/ Contact info: http://www.performatek.com/frContact.htm
Ethylene-propylene (EPDM) square cross section o-rings. I am still trying to determine the exact size but they are something like 9.5mm OD; 4.75mm ID and are about 1.5mm thick. That’s about 3/8” OD; 3/16” ID and 1/16” thick.

I bought the ATE kit 001-586-73-43 and awaiting arrival from Bangkok - will see if the o-rings are included once it arrives, but if like any other kit I have ever bought, I suspect not.
If not off to the o-ring shop with your dimensions - thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts