Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK the flying, thunderous beast has finally thrown some codes...

Backdrop my cam oilers still need doing :)crybaby2:), so the engine is not perfect but there is no misfire, and it flies.

So check engine light came on & after talking it over, no need to flat bed it as all running very well. Checked the codes and it threw:-

P1519
P0410

Cleared the codes, check engine light did not come back on. :D Been driving it since. No misfires, although as stated not perfect idle.

140intelligensia - I would appreciate hearing what is the worst case with these two codes...

Many thanks everyone :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
You da man, NhzR!!:cool:

Thanks...:thumbsup:
this website has helped me alot :) i had a P0410 once but that was because i accidentally disconnected a hose when putting the airbox on. BTW i might have finally found the cause of my P0160 and P0153. and it sounds like its air leaks on the exhaust, my exhaust got louder with the windows up and usually it was the opposite also i get a hissing. plus my codes have been popping up ever since May 7 and that is when i had my primary cats(front ones) replaced. sounds like the old man that was welding my exhaust missed a few spots(can't blame him after all he is 70years old plus tight area to work in)

hopefully its just the pipe on my car. since we did ever possible air leak test and wiring checks and ecu swaps(except for one module but i will get a new one)

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
hey rich this is the oiler after all the cleaning in real life it looks silver, and the reason these metal ones have a ball like valve thing instead of the end-cap

still waiting for the seals. these things look new also another thing i need to is soak these in 0w40 mobil 1 full synthetic once the seals are on and they would good to go :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
As for secondary air injection system, if the pump is kicking in check all vacuum lines associated with it especially the one on the back of the intake. Replaced all of them, and been fine since.
Cost, $140 with star diagnosis, parts, and labor.

P1519, I'm working on that now. I have a lazy O2 sensor and probably a vacuum leak elsewhere which if the replacement of the part itself did not cure the code then it could be map related and other things are causing the map to read improperly.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey rich this is the oiler after all the cleaning in real life it looks silver, and the reason these metal ones have a ball like valve thing instead of the end-cap

still waiting for the seals. these things look new also another thing i need to is soak these in 0w40 mobil 1 full synthetic once the seals are on and they would good to go :)
PM Sent (almost)

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz CL500
456 Posts
Rich, what are those codes you're getting? If it's just O2 sensors, get them replaced and get it back on the road. As for your oilers, does it tick really bad or are you losing oil pressure at idle or at a stoplight? If not, don't fix it until there are some symptoms. Let me know, I'm curious how some of the other coupes are fairing.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rich, what are those codes you're getting? If it's just O2 sensors, get them replaced and get it back on the road. As for your oilers, does it tick really bad or are you losing oil pressure at idle or at a stoplight? If not, don't fix it until there are some symptoms. Let me know, I'm curious how some of the other coupes are fairing.

They are 1519, 0410 - RH camshaft solenoid, and air pump - no sign of O2 sensor.

It ticks sometimes, I do not lose any pressure when driving, only at idle.

I feel I have to fix it out of honour to the car. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
They are 1519, 0410 - RH camshaft solenoid, and air pump - no sign of O2 sensor.

It ticks sometimes, I do not lose any pressure when driving, only at idle.

I feel I have to fix it out of honour to the car. :thumbsup:
did you get my message?

by the way tackleberry when ever mine was slow i would get a code stating that my sensor was slow or not working.

·
Registered
1998 W140 S420
271 Posts
I hope this helps, but, i just had those codes that you guys put up and i found what caused it. In my issue the vacuum line that went from the MAP sensor was broken off a bit further from the maf sensor of where it was connected too, and when i looked at the vacuum diagram it also turned out that it wasn't connected to the right place, it was actually connected to another place where the switchover valve was supposed to be connected to, i hope this helps.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz CL500
456 Posts
So how bad does it lose oil pressure, is it jumping below 1 at idle? If not, I wouldn't get that fixed right away. I service my car at the local Mercedes dealership and asked my service advisor about new cam oilers a month ago. He said that they could fix it, but the labor would be ridiculous ($$), considering the airbox and all the associated hoses and lines need to come off. He mentioned some other parts as well, but they said my car is not anywhere near needing it. I have a drop in oil pressure at idle down to around 1-1.5 bar, especially since it's been in the 90's to 100 degrees here all summer (Wisconsin), this is with the AC on (72 degrees), fan speed 5 or 6. If it's not terrible, let it go for now and get the other major items fixed first. I've dropped some serious change on my car in the past month and a half, so it's not real high on my priority list right now.

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
So how bad does it lose oil pressure, is it jumping below 1 at idle? If not, I wouldn't get that fixed right away. I service my car at the local Mercedes dealership and asked my service advisor about new cam oilers a month ago. He said that they could fix it, but the labor would be ridiculous ($$), considering the airbox and all the associated hoses and lines need to come off. He mentioned some other parts as well, but they said my car is not anywhere near needing it. I have a drop in oil pressure at idle down to around 1-1.5 bar, especially since it's been in the 90's to 100 degrees here all summer (Wisconsin), this is with the AC on (72 degrees), fan speed 5 or 6. If it's not terrible, let it go for now and get the other major items fixed first. I've dropped some serious change on my car in the past month and a half, so it's not real high on my priority list right now.
there isn't that much labor involved in replacing the oilers. the hardest part is removing the front chain guide. i would say removal and installation on our w140 should not take more then 3hours unless your going to be cleaning the valve covers and painting them. but on the 500e its harder to remove since one bolt is hard to reach for removing the valve cover. my oil pressure would drop badly.

now my oiler tick began with no oil pressure issues and it would get quiet after a few minutes but now its bad the ticking got louder on the passenger side and started loosing pressure. that is why i am not driving my w140 right now(waiting for gaskets and o-rings to come)

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes Benz CL500
456 Posts
Well, three hours labor at dealer cost adds up fast, so I'm not going to spend the money until it's necessary, thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
1995 mercedes S420
228 Posts

soory nhzruthless818 i know i bother u all the time,lol but u got lots knowledge.
my question is , where does the oiler located and and wt does it do ? thank you

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
soory nhzruthless818 i know i bother u all the time,lol but u got lots knowledge.
my question is , where does the oiler located and and wt does it do ? thank you
oilers are camshaft oilers. and they also fill the lifters. when these oilers go bad 94-99 m119 have plastic ones that end caps pop off. then you get dry lifters and get a tick and start loosing pressure. you take the valve covers off then you will see them. you need to remove the rocker arms then then should come out.

now here is an interesting fact. some 92-93 m119s have aluminum ones which don't get damaged at all but the orings go bad and they get a louder tick, that is why i got the metal ones now and i am waiting for a set of o-rings

now 94-99 had cheaper plastic ones that break, and can get loose, these really don't damage anything but the can clog the oil strain screen and cause bad oil flow and for that the oil pan needs to be dropped.

i use to not know anything about these oilers but i started learning through forums and i installed some on my friends dad's 97 e420. i have a way of getting the oilers from the dealer but it will cost about $30 an oiler but i get mine used from a source and get new o-rings from autohausaz for about $0.50 an oring and the there is 32 and also the crush washers on the valve cover need to be replaced too and they are $0.25 a piece and you need 18 of them now for the interesting part the dealer charges $2.50 per o-ring and $2.00 per washer so dealer cost would be $116 and autohausaz price would be $20.50

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My codes are fixed... all done.

It was a broken hose. 140's expensive, pah!

We did not even need to replace the camshaft solenoid, but I spoke to a very knowledgable forum member while we were at it - and so I decided to buy the part as I'd ordered it and it now sits alongside my other OE spares next to the CD changer in my trunk.

AL Cam Oilers are next - let me know when NhzR!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts