Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

As you can see-I´m new here and I´m proud to say that I have bought myself a real car-E55AMG-99" and found myself a nice Benz-forum!
My last car was a 528i-Bmw-99" and it sucked big time.There was always something wrong with my 528.
I was spending a lot of time at my dealers place-almost every month!So -one day I said:

-F**k it! S**ew this car.

Before the 528,I drove a 540i-95" with a 6-speed gear box.That car was ok and was going fine untill one day some idiot stole it and wrecked it.And even before the 540-I had a 325i-2d,even that one sucked but my older brother was driving a Bmw and he´s still driving a B-mer,M5-95" 6 speed,so I thought:

-If he can,so can I.

Boy,was I wrong!My dad used to say:

Guys with brains drive a Mercedes,the braindead ones drive B-mers,sorry bro!Man,was he wright!I love my 55"! It´s amazing,the best part of it-my brother hasn´t got a chance by the red lights :)!!!

·
Registered
ML320 & E430
76 Posts
Welcome to the Benz World. BMW is a poor man's Mercedes. Why drive if it's not a Merce...

Welcome to the Benz World. BMW is a poor man's Mercedes. Why drive if it's not a Mercedes. My previous vehicles were BMW I owned 318, 328 and the last one I had was a 740il the car spent more time at the dealer then it did in my garge. Now I own a ML and a E430 LOVE BOTH OF THEM. I am so glad I got rid of the BMWs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx mister.
My friend has a 740i-95" and it´s a nice car-when it works :)!But I feel so...

Thanx mister.
My friend has a 740i-95" and it´s a nice car-when it works :)!But I feel sorry for him,the car that he bought also suck big time.There is always something wrong with the B-mers.As I say:

-His garage is dark and empty! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
You people are a trip. Had my new CLK less than a month and during that time it has spen...

You people are a trip. Had my new CLK less than a month and during that time it has spent more time in the shop than my 540i did in 18months. I am considering going back to BMW if things don't improve soon.

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
Woodie,

You must have bought a used 540 or sold it before the 20 or so NHTSA safety rec...

Woodie,

You must have bought a used 540 or sold it before the 20 or so NHTSA safety recalls on that model.

Whant kind of issues are you having with your CLK?

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 540i was brand spanking new. There was a recall and an oil leak but it only took three...

The 540i was brand spanking new. There was a recall and an oil leak but it only took three days to fix everything. In the first month my CLK has spent 5 days in the shop and the condition of the car when it was returned was deplorable. It is obvious no one checked the car after delivery to the dealer and I won't be taking it back there for any service. BMW looks better every day.

·
Registered
ML320 & E430
76 Posts
I took my BMW in to the dealer three times before they could fix the problem I was havin...

I took my BMW in to the dealer three times before they could fix the problem I was having with my car. The dealer does not wash the car after service has been performed, and they do not give you a loaner car when you drop it off. I'm sorry you're having problems with your Mercedes, but both you and I know that even with the problems you're having with the car the Mercedes is still alot better then that "BMW" I would not even recommend a BMW to an enemy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can't agree with you. I find both brands to be about equal when you consider the pluses an...

Can't agree with you. I find both brands to be about equal when you consider the pluses and minuses of each. BMW is still the drivers car and Benz is more luxury oriented. I found a 2003 M5 with 1500 miles on the clock for $65,xxx and am just about ready to dump this CLK. Gonna wait a week to see if my anger at MB subsides. I have not found any dealer car washes to be worth the time and don't consider that in buying a car. I had to wash the CLK when I got it home and found scratches on the roof caused when he replaced the rear window. You can bash BMW all you want but the three I have had were good cars.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Here is the recall list from the 1997-2002 540:

1998: Sealing material of automatic-tra...

1998: Sealing material of automatic-transmission gear position switch can develop leaks and allow water entry; may eventually result in incorrect indication of gear position. 1998: Differential pinion shaft was produced without appropriate surface hardening, which can result in premature wear; would cause failure of the shaft and loss of power to rear wheels. 1999: Thickness of main positive electrical cable is less than specified, making it susceptible to abrasion by attaching clip; short circuit could occur. 1999: Premature wear of ring gear can occur on some cars, leading to loss of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and reverse gears. 2000: Brake-lamp switch could fail internally, remaining either in "off" or "on" position. 2000-01: Tire sidewalls may have been damaged at the manufacturer. The damaged area could weaken to the point where a sudden loss of air from the tire could occur.

I guess you must have sold your BMW before the NHTSA decided to force BMW to fix all the problems?

How about the 1990-1996 5 series:

1990: Under certain conditions, front armrest may contact seatbelt buckle, damaging its release button. 1990-92: Brake lights may fail to operate, or be on continuously. 1990-94: Brake lights may fail to operate, or be on continuously. 1990-95: Plastic bushing for cruise-control and throttle cables could break, causing throttle valve to remain partially open; car then might not decelerate as expected. 1990-95: Malfunction or failure of cooling system component can result in significantly increased coolant temperature and system pressure. 1991: Movement of throttle valve may be impeded, preventing car from decelerating. 1991-92: Airbag contact-ring locking tab can break without warning, eventually causing broken wiring; airbag would then not deploy in collision, and indicator would illuminate. 1992: Airbag contact-ring locking tab can break without warning, eventually causing broken wiring; airbag would then not deploy in collision, and indicator would illuminate. 1992-94: Brake lights may fail to operate, or be on continuously. 1994: Brake lights may fail to operate, or be on continuously. 1994-95: Double-lock mechanism can engage with key and occupants inside car. 1994-95: Plastic bushing for cruise-control and throttle cables could break, causing throttle valve to remain partially open; car then might not decelerate as expected.

To be fair, here is the NHSTA recall list for the 2002 & 2003 CLK:

Yep, that's right.....nothing. You may have a few nagging problems but at least they are fall below NHTSA threat level. You can't say that about BMW's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: Here is the recall list from the 1997-2002 540:1998: Sealing material of automatic-tra

1998: Sealing material of automatic-transmission gear position switch can develop leaks and allow water entry; may eventually result in incorrect indication of gear position. 1998: Differential pinion shaft was produced without appropriate surface hardening, which can result in premature wear; would cause failure of the shaft and loss of power to rear wheels. 1999: Thickness of main positive electrical cable is less than specified, making it susceptible to abrasion by attaching clip; short circuit could occur. 1999: Premature wear of ring gear can occur on some cars, leading to loss of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and reverse gears. 2000: Brake-lamp switch could fail internally, remaining either in "off" or "on" position. 2000-01: Tire sidewalls may have been damaged at the manufacturer. The damaged area could weaken to the point where a sudden loss of air from the tire could occur.

I guess you must have sold your BMW before the NHTSA decided to force BMW to fix all the problems?

How about the 1990-1996 5 series:

1990: Under certain conditions, front armrest may contact seatbelt buckle, damaging its release button. 1990-92: Brake lights may fail to operate, or be on continuously. 1990-94: Brake lights may fail to operate, or be on continuously. 1990-95: Plastic bushing for cruise-control and throttle cables could break, causing throttle valve to remain partially open; car then might not decelerate as expected. 1990-95: Malfunction or failure of cooling system component can result in significantly increased coolant temperature and system pressure. 1991: Movement of throttle valve may be impeded, preventing car from decelerating. 1991-92: Airbag contact-ring locking tab can break without warning, eventually causing broken wiring; airbag would then not deploy in collision, and indicator would illuminate. 1992: Airbag contact-ring locking tab can break without warning, eventually causing broken wiring; airbag would then not deploy in collision, and indicator would illuminate. 1992-94: Brake lights may fail to operate, or be on continuously. 1994: Brake lights may fail to operate, or be on continuously. 1994-95: Double-lock mechanism can engage with key and occupants inside car. 1994-95: Plastic bushing for cruise-control and throttle cables could break, causing throttle valve to remain partially open; car then might not decelerate as expected.

To be fair, here is the NHSTA recall list for the 2002 & 2003 CLK:

Yep, that's right.....nothing. You may have a few nagging problems but at least they are fall below NHTSA threat level. You can't say that about BMW's.
Thanks for the info...now I know I want that M5 more than ever.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Those were all 5 series BMW recalls not Mercedes. How can extensive safety recalls from t...

Those were all 5 series BMW recalls not Mercedes. How can extensive safety recalls from the NHTSA get you excited about BMW? I'd think it would have the opposite effect. Maybe that works for BMW?

·
Registered
E320 Wagon 1998
15 Posts
Re: Those were all 5 series BMW recalls not Mercedes. How can extensive safety recalls from t

Those were all 5 series BMW recalls not Mercedes. How can extensive safety recalls from the NHTSA get you excited about BMW? I'd think it would have the opposite effect. Maybe that works for BMW?
You will have to let him be since he will get his BMW no matter what he is told and nothing will change his mind. However, perhaps his good and bad experiences with the Bimmer will be his ultimate guide and we can only hope he learns from them... if he learns. Who knows, the M5 he gets may just be THE ONE.

We (both MB and BMW owners) must all learn from each other for that is the purpose of this forum. The great book says "A wise man humbly accepts his mistakes and being corrected by others because it only makes him wiser. The unwise man will insist he is right despite his errors and therefore makes him unwise...."

your friendly neighborhood wagon man.
(5 year old benz with no recalls and an average of 6 days a year in the shop for the past three years...)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Why was you car in the shop for an average of 6 days a year. That seems kind of high for ...

Why was you car in the shop for an average of 6 days a year. That seems kind of high for a Mercedes. I drive around 50,000 miles a year and I don't have any of my three Mercedes' in the shops that long. Maybe around one day or maybe two days a year for all three and that is for regular maintenance.

·
Registered
E320 Wagon 1998
15 Posts
Re: Why was you car in the shop for an average of 6 days a year. That seems kind of high for

Why was you car in the shop for an average of 6 days a year. That seems kind of high for a Mercedes. I drive around 50,000 miles a year and I don't have any of my three Mercedes' in the shops that long. Maybe around one day or maybe two days a year for all three and that is for regular maintenance.
Yup that is high and that is an average for the past two years for maintenance and for small parts replacement. Although I only visit the dealer twice a year. Problem with is the dealer always wants me to bring it to them on a Thursday (or Friday) and takes a day to order the part and I get back the car on a Monday. But you miss the point - 6 days a year is nothing compared to all the posts above about Bimmer and MB problems. If you think that is high then I will introduce you to a group of guys who send their Bimmers and MBs to their dealer every two months for weeks.

50,000 a year! Good heavens man, do you live in your car? That means you drive AT LEAST 137 miles a day EVERY SINGLE BLOODY DAY of the year. Now if you only drive on the weekdays that is 192 miles a day every day from Monday to Friday THE WHOLE YEAR. Now don't you think you should move closer to where you work or perhaps take the train sometimes? (or maybe you are just exagerating? A little hyperbole perhaps? You're not a cab driver are you? )

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I cover around 1000 sq miles of area. Yes, I practically do live in my car and some days ...

I cover around 1000 sq miles of area. Yes, I practically do live in my car and some days I have more than 7 hours of just drive time. The wife gets upset because I don't ever want to travel on the the weekends. I drive so much during the week that I don't even want to look at my car on the weekend. It is not unusual for me to log 300 miles in a day.

·
Registered
E320 Wagon 1998
15 Posts
Re: I cover around 1000 sq miles of area. Yes, I practically do live in my car and some days

I cover around 1000 sq miles of area. Yes, I practically do live in my car and some days I have more than 7 hours of just drive time. The wife gets upset because I don't ever want to travel on the the weekends. I drive so much during the week that I don't even want to look at my car on the weekend. It is not unusual for me to log 300 miles in a day.
I'm with you my friend. Actually my brothers, who live in LA, drive to work everyday and they take the freeway and drive for about an hour. Any opportunity they get to ride with someone else they will take. They are just tired of the driving everyday.

·
Registered
2 Posts
RE: Can't agree with you. I find both brands to be about equal when you consider the pluses an...

I agree that the M5 is an awesome car. I also agree that dealers in general suck and once you've signed the cheque they don't really give a damn. That said, you can't compare a CLK to an M5. Let's face it, the CLK is a Tonka toy compared to any mid-sized super-sedan. Further, the M5 is manual which can be annoying. I'll stick with my '01 E55. See ya.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts