Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be changing my 2 AT Cooling Line Hoses this weekend. Is there anything to watch out for (other than some coolant dripping.) Or, is this just a straight remove and replace? Let me know. Thanks.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
I beleive transmission fluid runs through the lines?

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
If it's the same lines i am thinking of, they are straight forward R&R except for the mess.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are the 2 lines coming from left and right bottom of the radiator to the trans. I thought it would be coolant running through these. Correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,283 Posts
Hi,

ATF

There is a ATF heat exchanger inside the radiator.

MBL

You are asking some great questions in recent posts, I've noticed.

About cooling systems http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system6.htm in general.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then I guess these need to be changed pretty quick to avoid to much mess. Will be making sure that no threads are stripped of course. Thanks again.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,283 Posts
Hi again,

Yes to the above and a cool or cold engine is best as trans fluid runs at a much higher temperature than the coolant when warmed up. it is also important to keep any dirt or even lint from a cloth out of the hoses or fittings. Get a tiny bit into the trans. line, if it got into a valve....

I also use Nitrile exam gloves (that fit well) when working on the car. Makes my cleanup a lot easier.[:)]

MBL

Saw 2 SECs on the road today! 2 of 'em - even with the sand & salt!!

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey MBL. Thanks for the compliment about the questions in some of the recent posts. I'm learning something new about my MB everyday. Just want to learn as much as I can so that I can have more understanding as to what is occurring and why it is occurring. Now that the weather has gotten warmer here, i've started to replace some vacuum hoses, lines and other small things that are critical to operation.

Also, we have some new members who probably can use whatever knowledgeable responses that can across the forum.

Before we know it, it's going to be SUMMER with all the heat and the beautiful ladies shackin' and wigglin'.[:D][^][:p]

Nice to hear from you again. Take care!!!

Prochambers

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up some of those surgical gloves myself. They are the best thing to use. Makes it easy to grip small screws and bolts or whatever. Plus, no oil and dirt in the fingernails afterwards.

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I keep forgetting about that site. I was on it just yesterday. Must be the years catching up!!!

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Best glove on the market....I've tried them ALL..

Jonathan

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts