With our great premium gas mileage:

Attachments

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,257 Posts
^^^
And I'M the forum dipstick!!! Really.

However, I keep reading posts where people say they only use Premium. My 380 is rated for Regular (I believe that's what the manual said) and that's what I use. I tried Premium in my '97 Avalon for a while and it started to ping under acceleration so badly that I went back to Regular. A mechanic relative opined that the engine is tuned for a specific gas rating and going outside of those parameters upsets the balance.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
Scarry that we joke about it. I saw out in your direction (CA) It was 345 per/gl reg. EEk. I cannt even think the reg word or my car hicups. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
ussun said:
I saw out in your direction (CA) It was 345 per/gl reg. EEk.
Maryland and Michigan are near California? Who knew?
;)

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Digmenow said:
I keep reading posts where people say they only use Premium.
My car is rated for it. The owner's manual says to use gas of at least 91 octane, and in these parts that only comes out of the premium pump. At $3.50 a gallon.

Edited to correct: $3.67 a gallon.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
smack said:
With our great premium gas mileage:
I spend a great deal of time trying to improve on the 14/15 mpg I get, but nothing has helped much so far. It's $3.11 for 91 octane around here.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
BenzToy said:
I spend a great deal of time trying to improve on the 14/15 mpg I get, but nothing has helped much so far. It's $3.11 for 91 octane around here.
The best mileage I've gotten out of a tank was 17.5 mpg, and that was on my recent trip. All freeway miles.

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
I brought this up a while ago and my milage is still about the same.

23.6MPG highway
19.4MPG combo city/highway

A&L's300SL said:
Touch wood, my 300SL is at this moment, running like a dream. I took it for a run to northern Victoria with my wife, to mystery shop some of our resellers for work. With the fuel card to pay for it, I decided to take the SL rather than my company car. Even though I don't have cruise on the SL, I felt the car was not as tiring as my work car overall. I was probably having too much fun.

About 60% of the drive was freeway, with the rest great, fast country hwy roads, I will have to drive again. I tended to sit on about 117kms/hr or 72mile/hr for the open road with our posted speeds at 110kms/hr [damn radar cops and fixed cameras].
We drove 620kms on 62 litres of premium 98 octane or 385miles on 16.3USgallons. This is 1lt/10kms.
My normal driving is a mixture of city/country as I live in a coastal area and use freeways to get to the larger towns. In this driving I get about 510Kms on 62litres of premium 98 octane or 317miles on 16.3USgallons. This is 1lt/8.2kms

I know having a 3lt I6 should be more economical and I'm not trying to bring up any I6 vs V8 argument. I'm trying to get an idea of the sort of economy and milage we get as drivers using different fuels in different driving conditions. It will also give other enthusiasts an idea of what to expect owning one of these great cars, although driving style and road conditions will make a difference.

SL's and SLC's were designed for the open road as a touring sports car, with suspension and comfort to match and with the increasing cost of fuel, economy to a degree now plays a part in our love of driving these fantastic cars.

If you want to, use this handy convertion calculator to compare
Conversion Calculators section two

What economy YOU getting?????????

I'd be interested to know!

Cheers
Andrew
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1261888-sl-slc-city-country-fuel-economy.html?highlight=milage

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,682 Posts
Let me drag this out again....

30 SMILES PER GALLON.

Who really cares? It's a fun car.

Before I get a lecture on gas mileage indicating performance and efficiency...Ya Ya whatever. But I don't lose sleep over it.

I paid $1.20 a liter for 91 octane today.

That's $4.55 a Canadian gallon..and Canadian gallons are a bit bigger. Even bigger than the ones from Texas.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I get at least 30 SMILES per gallon too, it's those 40 to 50 frowns per fillup that I'm trying to minimize. I look at the weather every day before I head out to work and if there is not much chance of rain, the SL gets the call, regardless of the MPG.

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
nobby said:
Let me drag this out again....

30 SMILES PER GALLON.

Who really cares? It's a fun car.

Before I get a lecture on gas mileage indicating performance and efficiency...Ya Ya whatever. But I don't lose sleep over it.
With the kind of mileage I6 SL owners get, 30 SMILES PER GALLON seems like a standard economy rate.

Why would you loose sleep.

With my SEL I'll be fitting an LPG system. It'll cost $2300 but our government gives you back $2000 in a rebate.

LPG in an SEL is one thing but fortunately it's not something I'd want to, or need to do, to my SL.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,257 Posts
I'm only getting about 22 smiles per gallon lately. I really need to get the steering coupler replaced.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,682 Posts
BenzToy said:
I get at least 30 SMILES per gallon too, it's those 40 to 50 frowns per fillup that I'm trying to minimize. I look at the weather every day before I head out to work and if there is not much chance of rain, the SL gets the call, regardless of the MPG.
Atta boy.

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,951 Posts
hwy easy 11l/100km (20mpg)
Urban kills me at 16l/100km (16mpg)

A huge change after new injectors, new cams (worn out)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts