Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 C280
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here is my second Problem with the car.. Ive done some research and found what might be the problem but still need some conformation.. The swtich doesnt seem to be working or shall i say that the Light is on.. Now the car currently has 19" rims and i was told that due to the size upgrade it throws something off? is this possible and how can this be fix??? o yea 1996 c280 is the car..

·
Registered
2003 S430 Sport Edition
1,326 Posts
When the light is on your ASR is off. Was it working with the regular wheels?

Regards,

Eddie

·
Registered
1996 C280
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont no i got the car this way ... And ASR being off is a good thing? Baer with me as im new and just trying to fix this BIG light glowing in my face as i drive.. Its on the minute i turn the key on and stays on .....

·
Registered
2003 S430 Sport Edition
1,326 Posts
You better get that ASR fixed. Since i bought my C280 i had it on untill today. I drive normally when it's dry or wet or on sandy roads. The ASR is a system which regulates your rear wheels not for your car to skid when it is wet or in other countries when it's snowing. Where i live is mostly dry, but you have some fine dust on the asphalt whyich can occur a accident. That's why it is important to have it on all the time.

You should bring the car back to the dealer were you bought it. And let them check it out.

Good Luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
way2fast4u said:
ok here is my second Problem with the car.. Ive done some research and found what might be the problem but still need some conformation.. The swtich doesnt seem to be working or shall i say that the Light is on.. Now the car currently has 19" rims and i was told that due to the size upgrade it throws something off? is this possible and how can this be fix??? o yea 1996 c280 is the car..
If ASR/BAS light is on permanently it means there is a problem with the system. It could be either of three things.
1) The Brake light switch is faulty. It is a fairly inexpensive part and easy to change. A DIY project

2) the rear wheels are of different diameter which will fool the system in thinking the car is skidding constantly and will trigger a fault.

3) you may have damaged the sensor on one of the wheels when you upgraded your wheels

Run a code reader on the car it might give you the brake light switch fault code.
Good luck

·
Registered
1996 C280
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great idea.. ive yet to figure it out i was just going to pull the light bulb but if i run a code reader on it, it should pop up? if that works then thats better.. thanks

·
Registered
1999 C 280 Sport
109 Posts
Don't pull any bulbs. Go get it checked out and make sure the system is ok. I'm guessing you already have pressed the button in an attempt to shut off the light so as to be sure that it is, in fact, staying on all the time, right? If you have then yes you should have it checked out. Obviously the system is disabled with the fault, at this point, cause you would've been in an accident by now when the system triggered uneccessarily. I personally dislike ASR, i don't think it makes the car any safer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts