Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably caused this.Either untimely preventative maintenance or carelessness. Problem seem to start after turning key to start position to move shift lever from park to reverse to remove ashtray.ASR light now constantly lit.However ASR system does not seem to be affected.Vehicle is 93 400E V8 with computer up front w/38 pin diagnostic plug without PB w/ LED indicator.Was wondering how to dump the code and clear fault light without dealer intervention.Have already done some simple things,disconnected the battery for awhile and reset all modules in the computer box.ASR light is constantly lit,and system seems to be unaffected.Carb has been recently cleaned.I have the snow chain switch which I use in the winter to prevent the ASR from engaging.Currently I can't engage that system as the ASR is lit.Appreciate any thoughs or innovative ideas.

·
Registered
300TE 4-Matic 300GD
330 Posts
Hi Hackbite.

I would take it straight to the dealer. To save your ECU.

When you want to remove the gear lever, always start the car first. Put it in neutral, and then stop it. Move the key back before doing anything else.

The system has a weakness. If current leaks through the brake switch, it can cause the controller to display an error and shut down. This doesn't happen if the brake pedal is never applied before engine is started. But then again, you'll only be delaying detection of a bad brake switch.

That's why I think it's a good thing to always start the engine before touching the brake.

This was just a thought, not a diagnose.

Regards

Geir

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hyprr1 - 4/19/2005 8:05 AM

I don't know, but maybe try this !!
http://www.thebenzbin.com/mercedes-hard-start.html
Thanks for the input neighbor ! Good idea but the 400E is setup differently than other W124's.There is no OVR.I remember how problematic that relay was on one of my 300's.Thanks again .Regards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still tying to figure this one out.Symptoms are ASR light is on, system is not engaged.Currently looking at diagnostic plug X11/4.Interesting enough it appears as if the plug is in upside down.Such as pin 1 being pin 36.
Found this:http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1039/mercedes/cs1000_mb.pdf

and :http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/MB_X11.html

which used in conjunction give the pin readouts.Looks like I'm going to have to build a box,as there is no PB or LED
indicator in this vehicle.I'm trying to clear and reset the ASR light.Are there any other tweets past or present who have a take on this ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought I'd update what I found regarding this problem.I did end up building an analog box to pull codes from the 38 pin connector in the engine bay.It worked great after I connected to the correct pins.Seems the plug is mounted in there upside down.Also a great help

was:http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1039/mercedes/cs1000_mb.pdf

If you can pull this up it's amazing with all the information contained;I found I had to read it very carefully to acquire correct testing to pin.I had pulled and cleared a couple of codes;seemed to make a difference in the car's driveability.Some of the older post indicated it cost about fifteen dollars to build the box,I found it to be around twice that.Some of the parts were no longer stocked and had to be substituted.Even with the ability to pull and clear codes I was not able to extinguish the ASR light.At least not until the weather warmed up.Seems the problem was moisture in or near the front sensors;and the codes indicated such.They pointed to a sensor discrepancy.Problem was probably caused by the fact that I'm running OEM European w124 mudflaps on the front of the car;seems to circulate a lot more water & moisture up front.For now the light is out and ASR capability restored to the vehicle.If the discrepancy persists I'll pull the flaps and remount them when the snow revisits us again.I'll also be cleaning some sensors.Thanks to all those who replied and to Maplewood Imports in Little Canada,Minn, for technical assistance in this matter.

In parting I'll mention I saw a new CLK430 this morning.Seems he didn,t want to run with me.Perhaps he was afraid of the ticket when the speed limit was exceeded.
That's what I like about Benz's,they like to run and breathe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts