Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1993 SL 500
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

My ASR light comes on when I wake up my 93 SL500 from Winter sleep. In the wintertime, Ones a month I drive it 25-50km, but today I experienced this ASR warning. Last winter I've already experienced this, but after 5-6 mins of running and restarting it disappeared.
Does somebody has idea what can this be ? Wiring problem that only occurs when the temperatures are low?

·
Registered
1992 500SL, 1993 300SE, 1997 S320L, 2000 C230K, 2003 E500, 2005 Smart ForFour, 2008 Smart ForTwo
324 Posts
It’s to do with your battery. My r129 will sit for weeks and start it up and will have lights showing including the asr. Turn off the car and start it again and all lights are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1995 Mercedes S420, 1995 SL320, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1,741 Posts
I'm having this same issue ongoing with my S420 (same engine basically). If the car is started from a dead cold the ASR light will come on. If the car is warm -- or the ambient temperature is above like 70 degrees -- it'll start up without the light. Usually turning the car off and on again will remedy the issue, unless it's very cold out in which case the car needs warm up a bit first and then be restarted. It's very annoying.

I've considered the voltage issue, however my battery is new and my W140 is daily-driven, so it's not like the car is sitting for days or weeks at a time to allow the battery to flatten a bit. I'm not saying it's NOT a voltage issue, but it's probably not as simple as a weak/dormant battery. I also have a fresh voltage regulator on my alternator.

I'm not ruling out a fault with the throttle actuator either, although I had mine replaced with a rebuilt unit about four years ago, it could be that the part has developed an issue in that time. Others in the W140 forum have suggested the neutral safety switch as the culprit.

I've frankly run out of ideas myself, and will be giving the car to my mechanic at some point in the next month for him to sort the issue once and for all. If nobody else chimes in with anything definitive here before that, I'll report back here with the diagnosis.

·
Registered
1993 SL 500
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for sharing your experience :) Hope we will find someone who knows the reason behind

·
1995 Mercedes S420, 1995 SL320, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1,741 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to update the thread -- turns out I needed a new throttle actuator.

Unfortunately the unit I had in my car was out of warranty, so I had to purchase another. But the issue is gone now.

·
Registered
1993 SL 500
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you :)
Yes I have the same issue, here a I found a perfect description of the problem.
This thing(throttle body/actuator issue) put our M119 engine into LIMP mode.

·
Registered
1993 SL 500
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HI ! AGAIN - JUST TO UPDATE THE THREAD
the same issue we all had I think! here is a detailed explanation about the issue : Mercedes throttle actuator rebuild
ETA = throttle body =electronic throttle actuator problem => so mostly wiring harness problem on the throttle body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts