Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I am so tired of this car and this ASR light. Is there a way to disable it? all kidding aside, I've had this car for 2 years now (a 92 600SEL with 95k kms on it) and it's been in the shop atleast 5 times because of the ASR thing.

In the past, it would come on and off occasionally, and i've done the following to try to fix the problem:

- rebuilt both ETA from BBA (re-wiring) and they showed that my ETA functions properly
- changed the o2 and MAF sensors
- rotated all the tires, changed all the coolants

When i took it into mercedes last year, they said that the ETA and the Control Module was faulty, and it would cost me $8000 to get new ones. Obviously i didn't do it, and had BBA rebuilt the ETAs first as they said that it's most likely not the control module that is damaged. Well, now the light's back after a few months.

Except this time, when the car is sitting idle, the oil pressure bounces up and down, engine makes a pulsing sound, and the car is VERY shaky. My mechanic said it could be the dist cap and rotors, and since they changed that as well as the spark plugs, i told them to look into the ASR issue AGAIN, and they said they checked EVERYTHING that the ASR relates to, minus the Base Module and the Control Module, and the valves because he doesn't have the mercedes equipment to test it.

After his assessment, even he gave up because he couldn't tell what was wrong with it, and now my ASR light is CONSTANTLY on. In the past, it would only flash on sometimes, and once i restart the car, it'd go away, but now it's constantly on.

Is is time I changed the Control Module now? Because merc suggested i did before, and my mechanic now say they didn't test the base module and control module. Does this sound familiar to any of you guys?

Thanks for your help. :surrender:

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,148 Posts
If I were you I would take the car into the dealer and have them plug a star diagnostic computer into it. They should be able to tell you in short order what the problem is. I'm not saying you have to let them fix it, but it might be worth it to pay for an hour of their time for a diagnosis.

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6 1993 500sel (sold) 1995 S500 coupe (sold) 1994 S500 blk/blk
1,007 Posts
I know what you mean--that ASR problem really sucks big time. But when the light is on is the vehicle in the Limp Home Mode? You didn't specify.

I had one of those early 500 Sels, and the ASR light was on when I bought it and the idle was surging and the vehicle was in Limp Home Mode. I thought I had gotten myself one big problem.

One day I just rolled up my sleeves, took off the vanity covers and inspected the wiring and vacuum hoses. Almost immediately I discovered that the 2 small vacuum hoses just under the first vanity cover at the front of the engine had deteriorated to the point of being open. For less than one dollar I bought the hoses, put them on, put the vanity covers back on, started the '93 500 SEL, and lo and behold after an initial rush of the engine, the surging idle was gone and the ASR light was off and it remained off.

The point of this is to do a lot of visual inspection, and you might see the source of many problems on these old majestic cars. I had all kinds of advice from people before I solved the problem, and all of it had to do with replacing all kinds of expensive parts.

Maybe I was just lucky. Good luck to you.
P.S. It is not rare that a deteriorated brake light switch causes this problem with the ASR. Check it out.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I've been very critical of ASR and have taken a lot of flak over it. Remarkably there are still people who defend it, although not convincingly in my view. I've personally known a half dozen people who had the same experience I had with it - ASR WAS WAY MORE TROUBLE THAN THE REST OF THE CAR COMBINED. The sad part of it is that the worst of ASR overlapped with the era that I consider the real pinnacle of Mercedes quality, durability and repairability, especially DIY repairability, leaving some otherwise great cars - e.g. S500C, E500E, SL500SL - ultimately flawed and to be avoided.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the light is constantly on, and yes it's always on limp home mode now....

as for the hiring deteriotating. I've rewired EVERYTHING already. I am so out of ideas.

·
Banned
1996 S600 1991 560SEL 1995 S500 2009 S550
986 Posts
ASR diagnosis, The only sound procedure is to send your car to a dealer and have them check via Star Diagnostic Computer, no other diagnostic tool can do so intensively.

·
Registered
W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 440.000 km
3,920 Posts
evan, whats the logic in steering full right and left?
i am not evan, but anyway my intention is positive: there is some sensor in the steering wheel system which has to get new references after battery disconnection, maybe also in some another situations, i read that it can help like the poster (evan) suggested ... do not know more, I am not an expert in W140. These references are most left and most right wheel position.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have encounted a similar problem on two occasions I read in the service manual if you disconnect the battery or if you have a very low battery this light comes on permanently. So when you turn steering wheel fully right and left and the light goes out if it was due to this.

evan

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
... which means that original poster only have problems with old battery and consequently not enough "strong" source of battery. Mine was 9 years old when i replaced it, however battery can die after 4 years (normal life span) or even sooner if you do not have luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,
Strongly recommend to build a DIY code reader.
Saves you a lot of hassles.
K6JRF Auto Page
See 2nd article:
K6JRF Auto Page
Scroll down to bottom and build:)

Cheers

Nuby
Hi Sir,

I've read the article and scrolled to the bottom where he tells me i can build the scanner from Radio Shack parts, but I do not see a link to show me HOW to build this scanner? Any help? Thanks

·
Banned
986 Posts
there is no other equipment compare/replacement for a Star Diagnostic Computer, now for those who refuse to accept the technical fact, its all up to you what you want.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
there is no other equipment compare/replacement for a Star Diagnostic Computer, now for those who refuse to accept the technical fact, its all up to you what you want.
Nobody refuses to accept that fact, it just isn't relevant to anything for a DIYer. Renelsisc you have a PM.

·
Banned
986 Posts
Nobody refuses to accept that fact, it just isn't relevant to anything for a DIYer. Renelsisc you have a PM.
you say it just isn't relevant to anything for a DIYer, if we are on the same page then your wrong, and if we are not on the same page then you may be right. it is absolutely relevant to get the right diagnostic data from a reliable and proper/correct diagnosis equipment. have a good weekend.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
you say it just isn't relevant to anything for a DIYer, if we are on the same page then your wrong, and if we are not on the same page then you may be right. it is absolutely relevant to get the right diagnostic data from a reliable and proper/correct diagnosis equipment. have a good weekend.
In one sentence, what is the easiest way to get the Star diagnostic system? I assume it is a 38 pin connector, one box and a software for a PC (windows based?). Am I correct? In addition, I do not like to buy such things on ebay, what is the other chance? thanks.

I've read the article and scrolled to the bottom where he tells me i can build the scanner from Radio Shack parts, but I do not see a link to show me HOW to build this scanner? Any help? Thanks
there must be a diagram for the scanner. it conists only of several elements, i think 3 or 4. It is so easy that everybody can do it in 30 minutes for 10 dollars. just study carefully the web page where the instructions are ... you will notice a switch, one led and one element more I think ... I forgot details.

·
Registered
CLS350 C219 2006
582 Posts
Hi Sir,

Hi,

It is straight forward with a bit of technical knowledge. Otherwise my son is into electronics and I could supply you one for US$20 plus shipping cost. Thats US$10 material plus US$10 for his pocket money. He build mine, works like a charm. I will supply an easy to use Excel spreadsheet to interpret and track the error codes.

As others mentiond it is not a Star Diagnostics Systems, but it saved me many trips to the Indy/Merc dealer already allowing me to perform some DIY work on my baby.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
But you're talking about $8 versus several thousand dollars. My definition of a DIY is that they want to do it themselves whenever possible. They typically don't want to spend several thousand dollars for diagnostic equipment. Most shops charge a considerable fee for using their expensive diagnostic equipment, as well they should, it's expensive, and repeated trips to the shop is a nuisance. If flash code reader wasn't "proper/correct diagnostic equipment" the factory would not have not built the system into the car. If you have a way to get the other system cheap please let us know.

·
Registered
1992 400 SE
73 Posts
asr light,

i know its only a small chance, but there is a microswitch in the driver side seat belt nacelle, ie' down where the buckle fastens inside . it has been shown that a lot of dust ,lint and general crap can get in and clog the switch. if you have a can of electo contact cleaner, you may want to pull it out and give it the first clean it prob ever had in its life.

would be nice if this simple thing solved your fault.
good luck. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts