Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
because you're missing 4 cylinders;-)

No, but seriously, can you hear the ASR kicking in a cutting power?

Jonathan

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,236 Posts
I think that switching the ASR off does not actually turn it off! What it does do is raise the threshold at which ASR affects control.

·
Registered
'96 sl500, 87 300td
134 Posts
Turning off the ASR removes the throtle control but does not turn off the brake control. That is how mine works.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Strange...I had a 96 SL600 for a while and laid down Big smokey burnouts w/ out the AST cutting in on the fun:-/ Perhaps you can find the fuse and/or relay it goes through and pull it. I'm not the biggest fan of gadgets that cut in on the fun.

Jonathan

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bobterry99 is correct. From the owner's manual: "A portion of the ASR system remains active, even with the switch in the OFF position. If one drive wheel loses traction and begins to spin, the brake is applied until the wheel regains sufficient traction. The traction control engages at vehicle speeds up to approximately 24 mph and switches off at 50 mph."

·
Registered
100 Posts
I read that in the manual. What does that mean? Does it mean that the ASR is off when I am driving down the highway at 90 mph?

·
Registered
75 Posts
VR43000, I'm not a tech and don't know about ASR. But interpreting the manual, I would say that switched OFF the ASR will engage if it detects wheelspin and the car is going 24 MPH or slower. Once engaged, it will remain so until traction has been regained or the car is exceeding 50 MPH. And like kn90d3 wrote, it won't affect the throttle and only affects brakes when it engages with the switch OFF.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts