Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the Renntech 500E asr bypass setup work the same on a 93 400E. I have found some info on installing a switch and 3 relay's to dissable the ASR on a 500e but my question is will it work on a 400E? ..... Maybe just differen't color wires???

I also have heard about jumping pin 1 and 6 on the X11 plug. Is the x11 plug the one in the computer box in the right front under hood area?

·
W124 Moderator
12,584 Posts
Thunder,

I would contact Jonathan. He has the answers on your question. His forum id: jhodg5ck

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
971 Posts
The easiest way to disable ASR is to open the computer box and pull the fuse (i believe it's the rightmost one). It also disables ABS howerer :/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking to put some front brakes on it this weekend.
I will try a few things and see what happens with the ASR, so far the snow chain button doesn't do much.
I just bought the car and have been spending a lot of time and money getting her back to top running condition.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
The pin jumpering is the poor mans ASR defeat, it also will disable the ABS... it is though Quite easy to set up...a 2 way switch wired into said pins will get you there.

Setting up a proper ASR defeat in as much where one keeps their ABS is quite a bit more involved.

2PHAST has a good write up:
Rik Johnsons W124.036

Jonathan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another question. Does my 93 400e has a timing retard resistor...if so where is it? I have my flashlight out looking for it now... LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never mind... I think I found it. Round style push in plug on top of the whats looks like an ignition module. Green writing with a big #2 on it.

I removed it and took her out for a drive. I couldn't tell much of a difference...but then again I have been driving a 900hp Durango at work and haven't put 200 miles on my Mercedes yet. When I get it on the dyno I will know more.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Well, you should be able to tell straight away w/ one hard launch.. The last 400E we had in here would roast one rear (stock) tyre w/ the ASR defeated..

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Just bought a 93 400E and saw this thread

I have a switch on the upper console that has what looks like a wheel with a snow chain on it
does that have anything to do with the ASR?

If so, does it disable it or just change it's percentage of slip at launch?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Thanks
I needed to take a long trip
but I just got the car and didn't want to chance it in the snow

borrowed my sister's E320 4MATIC
I was surprised. That car is awesome in the snow
was going 40-50 mph while everyone else was crawling around at 10-15 mph :yelrotflmao:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have seen a lot of the ASR defaet on the internet for the V8 models like the 500 and the 400 but no one has ever cared to make it on the stright six models.

I have an W124 BRABUS 3.6-24 with ASR and it is realy anoing that you can´t give it all the power when you want...

But the 6 cyl models have a very different style ASR than the V8s

ANd again the 6 cyl. M103 and the (M104 3.0-24) has again a different version of the ASR than the M104 2.8/3.2 versions.

So if anyone knows how to turn off ASR with a switch mod on the M104 3.0-24 model please let me know :thumbsup:

ps my car have the snow chain switch as well.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I have seen a lot of the ASR defaet on the internet for the V8 models like the 500 and the 400 but no one has ever cared to make it on the stright six models.

I have an W124 BRABUS 3.6-24 with ASR and it is realy anoing that you can´t give it all the power when you want...

But the 6 cyl models have a very different style ASR than the V8s

ANd again the 6 cyl. M103 and the (M104 3.0-24) has again a different version of the ASR than the M104 2.8/3.2 versions.

So if anyone knows how to turn off ASR with a switch mod on the M104 3.0-24 model please let me know :thumbsup:

ps my car have the snow chain switch as well.

I'd leave the ASR alone,
if you like to burn rubber, buy an old Ford or Chevy
if you break a dif or drive line they are cheaper to fix :D

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
The switch defeats ASR up to 25 mph to allow you to get out of the snow, hence the snow tire with chains picture.

Just a question/suggestion with the age of these cars is it really wise to defeat ASR and get first gear start and wear them out faster? The cars are 15-20 years old and doing this may make them ready for the scrap yard.

Just an observation. I love my Benz and it gets up when I hit the gas do I really need to spin the tires?

It will do 155 easy and pretty quick, am I ever gonna drive that fast really?

Just some points. 10 years ago when they started figuring these fixes and such the cars were just then becoming second hand and were still pretty new. They are not so new.

Good luck with your Benz's.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
older benzes thrive on being driven...the higher the mileage the better they do w/ it..

My old 300TE w/ some 300K on the clock Required that you drive the S*&t out of it..otherwise it would load up the plugs/combustion chamber etc...

I say put your foot down and have fun w/ 6K..I know I will on the way home!!

Jonathan

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes the snow chain switch is only letting a minor percentage of wheel spin, so it is not an defeat botton.

THe V8´s 400 and 500 are the same system and then all the tricks from the 500 will therefore work on the 400 as well.

Ít is different with the 6 cyl, this is another system where no renntech override switch ASR defeat system will work.

And again there are also 2 different ASR systems for the 6 cyl. models.

The reason that you want to be able to get rid of the ASR is not "just" to burn tires, it is also killing my acceleration times in a drag race when the ASR shit hit´s the brake and pull of the throtle for me, because it is damn slow to find out that there are plenty of grip again and when you launch the car of the line, my brabus will do a slightly wheel spin even on the 255/35-18" tires. and then the ASR kick´s in killing all the power and it takes aprox. ½ sek. for it to notice the whell spin has stoped and then another ½ sek. to pull the throtle wide open again.

IF I could de the launch without the ASR interfearing with my doings, then I would have a slightly wheel spin but even though the throte is wide open at all time, it is not realy to much that the car just will rev up in the red line.
It will rev up to around 2500 and get the grip when I reach around 20 Km/t. this is perfect, because I then get the same lauch as if I had a manual gearbox, I just don´t slip on the clutch I slip on the road instead :D but if the ASR is killing that slip, then my lauch is a whole 1 sec. slower becasue the reaktion time for the ASR is to slow and not because I loose power that much.

the chain switch is realy only for use with the snow chains on and will not have any effect on the dry or wet road.

I no haw to disable the ASR manual but this wil also take out my ABS, and that is not what I like if I sudently have to brake...

So to switch off the ASR completely has other means than just to burn the tires.

ANd it is rubish to say that they are old and canot cupe with wheel spin, if that´s the case I sould deffently get my car to the workshop and get the worn out things changed.

I don´t know about you, but I deffently keep my car up to date at all time, who does realy just let their car fall apart as the time goes by :p

·
W124 Moderator
12,584 Posts
Using the search function, put in "ASR disable" and you'll find 26 threads on this or related subjects. The ASR system can be worked around, with ABS intact, but it requires more than un-plugging a relay or two.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Using the search function, put in "ASR disable" and you'll find 26 threads on this or related subjects. The ASR system can be worked around, with ABS intact, but it requires more than un-plugging a relay or two.

Good Luck,

Jayare
2Phast has a whole write up on it with photos
should check out his site
he's not your typical do-it-yourselfer :D

·
Registered
41 Posts

Good Luck,

Jayare
This is where you a wrong, the seach function will give you alot about disabeling it on the V8 models, but nothing om how it is done with the 6 cyl models that are very different than the V8´s
The renntech does not work on the 6 cyl models because it is a complete different system, it is as simple as that.

Regardig the 500E/E500 and 400E/E420 it is the exact same system and the renntech and other disabelings system will work on all these models as it is the same system they run with, by the way called the ASR model/version II/2
The first models to recieve ASR was the W126 V8s they had the ASR model/version I/1 and the ASR came in versions of 1,2,3 and 4 before it went over and became a part of the ESP system.

Take a read on this document that discribe just how difficault this system realy is to figure out.

Mercedes' ASR II System Can Frustrate Technicians

·
W124 Moderator
12,584 Posts
Brabus

Thank you for the enlightenment. It was my intent to help you in some way, but I guess it was wrong of me to be thinking in such a way.

Good Luck

Jayare

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
11 Participants
Clarkz71
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing