Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a 1992 2.6 300E with a near flawless interior, body in pristine condition and the solid wiring harnesses. It had the usual broken/bent belt tensioner, brakes needed replacement, and window regulators fixed. The car was purchased to work on as my sons first car and we successfully replaced and repaired all of the above. Car had the usual sluggish gas response but otherwise ran pretty well. Last week we had the ASR light and then ABS light come on and it went into limp mode. I looked at posts and it seemed like most people just threw money at many different parts and had no real fix, so i decided to have a local Benz repair shop I trust look at it.. The verdict to get it back to running was to send the ASR/ABS unit out to be rebuilt $2 to $3k fix. The mechanic said the fix can work, but you will always be chasing ASR problems like Wack-A Mole and said the best option would be just to sell the car. The ASR in 1992 300E 2.6 I guess is very rare so ASR parts for rebuild are even harder to find. Anyway, I hate to unload such a beautiful car (my son loves it too) and wanted to get any advice you all may have. I know this is a simplified thought process, but all you need is fuel management and spark and with so many aftermarket stand alone ECU's like Megasquirt....would it be possible to circumvent the ASR which is embedded in so much of this cars operations. Through this process would I also be able to upgrade to a M104 fuel system and move away from the Ktronic to more simplified system? Sorry for the long post, just don't want to dump this vehicle but also may be bettor off cutting my losses now. Thanks!

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
3,682 Posts
I thought your condition (limp mode and ASR/ABS light) just points to a busted OVP as it powers both.
I must be wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought your condition (limp mode and ASR/ABS light) just points to a busted OVP as it powers both.
I must be wrong.
They did test the relay and it was fine. Also put in a replacement brain box and no change

1 - 4 of 4 Posts