Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
c230
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody had any problems since installing their pulley...and r there special mounting instructions or can any mech do it...

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
While I don't have a pulley yet, I have been following the pulley saga on several boards...

While I don't have a pulley yet, I have been following the pulley saga on several boards for well over a year. There is a Woodruff key in the crankshaft nose. The corresponding slot in the pulley must be aligned with the key. If it is not, then the key is forced back into the engine. The resulting damage can cost over $5000 to repair. If the slot and key are aligned, the pulley will slip right on. Do not force it.

·
Registered
c230
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pulley

lynn...i was wondering if you know where i can bring my car to do the pulley install in the Toronto,ONTARIO area...since MB dosen't want to touch the ASP pulley

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Any shop that you trust should be able to do it. It isn't difficult. Perhaps Buellwink...

Any shop that you trust should be able to do it. It isn't difficult. Perhaps Buellwinkle will chime in with some tips. He has had his on and off several times and has installed them on other peoples cars.

The important thing is getting the key and slot aligned.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Not really Lynn, I've messed up and missaligned mine and the key is fine, the pulley gro...

Not really Lynn, I've messed up and missaligned mine and the key is fine, the pulley groove is what takes the damage. The 3-4 people out of about 50 that had this problem from the factory was that the woodruff key was crack and this was evident before anyone put the ASP pulley on so no engine damage occurred to my knowledge. I do know of someone personally that this happened to (actually 2 in South O.C.) and he tried to fix it himself and ended up pushing the broken half of the key back into the engine. This of course required removing the engine to fetch it and install a new one, his costs about $1,100. If you do see something abnormal with the key then put the factory pulley back in and forget about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts