Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need instructions on how to remove the flip-out ashtray in the center console (not just the plastic insert, but the whole thing). i dropped my monthly parking pass behind it somehow [:(]

can anyone help me out? thanks!

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
deathrattle - 3/1/2005 12:01 PM

Hey, we're in the wrong room man.[B)]
well, YOU may be in the wrong room [^] -- i have two w124s, and my question was about my wagon's ashtray... i guess i should have specified, esp given my avatar is of my w126...

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
when you open it ashtrey there is a button on the right side its like a locking pin button move it to the right to take out the metal part of the ashtray, then there are two screws inside one on the left one on right, unscrew them take out the whole consoul out and ur all set.

·
Registered
300E
100 Posts
vili1982 - 3/1/2005 3:20 PM

when you open it ashtrey there is a button on the right side its like a locking pin button move it to the right to take out the metal part of the ashtray, then there are two screws inside one on the left one on right, unscrew them take out the whole consoul out and ur all set.
What he said. Pop out the chrome insert, remove the two phillips head screws from the bottom, and twist it out of there. Don't be afraid to pull it out with some firm pressure, it's not gonna slide out easily. Don't jerk on stuff though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i tried it, and failed miserably [:(][:(][:(]

it doesn't want to come out!!! is it just the tray itself that's supposed to come out, or the whole panel under the radio? b/c the whole thing has come out half-way, but it seems to be getting jammed up against the radio up top and the middle console (between the front seats) below.

plus the wood trim has now separated from the pastic it was applied to... argh. maybe i just have two left hands.[B)][:(]

·
Registered
'91 300E 3.0L
8 Posts
The best way (I've found) to remove the tray is to remove the center wood console (around shift lever, otherwise it keeps the ashtray assembly pinned and you might break it by forcing it.

So:
1. Remove ash tray chrome insert
2. Remove center wood console (on my 300E there is one screw at the back under the "carpet" material under the armrest), then it just pops off.
3. Remove two screws in ashtray assembly and pull it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts