Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to remove the ashtray bracket as a step in checking the window switches. The ashtray has been removed and the two screws in the bracket have been removed, but the bracket will not pull out. I would appreciate all suggestions.

Hal
86 300 SDL

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,498 Posts
Your change cup/ Sunglasses holder/ whatchamacallit (in front of the shifter wood) is probably holding you up. These fit tightly under the lip of the ash tray mounting lip. If it has moved to the front of the ashtray mtg. plate they can be a bugger bear. This tray should be removed before you try to remove the ash tray mtg.

OR...perhaps someone glued the ash tray mtg in place???, Spilled drinks can have the same effect as glue too.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
43,828 Posts
I am trying to remove the ashtray bracket as a step in checking the window switches. The ashtray has been removed and the two screws in the bracket have been removed, but the bracket will not pull out. I would appreciate all suggestions.

Hal
86 300 SDL
Have you tried a forum search? The archive has a wealth of information.

Please click 'User CP' on the top tool bar, and complete your profile with a location and model of your car.
It makes it easier for members to offer advice. MB produced different, and region / Country specific versions of our cars.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum (3 words min.), and has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
Someone glued my console veneer TO the window switches and then glued the window switches to the little metal frame work under and behind the shift gate.

I figured that out after I snapped the veneer in half trying to remove it today.

Hopefully your fix goes better than mine did.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
The veneer cover SLIDES forward 1/8-1/4 inch then lifts out.
My switches in the new 560 SEC are J-B Welded to the bottom of my Veneer cover also. Don't ya just love Curbstoners? J-B Weld and Curbstoners shouldn't be mentioned in the same same paragraph, let alone the same sentence. Someday I'll find another very nice Veneer shift housing cover in dark burl WITH the intact clips on the bottom, but for now the cover is just too good to replace with anything less. I'll live with the small amount of J-B weld that is there until then..

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,129 Posts
The veneer cover SLIDES forward 1/8-1/4 inch then lifts out.
My switches in the new 560 SEC are J-B Welded to the bottom of my Veneer cover also. Don't ya just love Curbstoners? J-B Weld and Curbstoners shouldn't be mentioned in the same same paragraph, let alone the same sentence. Someday I'll find another very nice Veneer shift housing cover in dark burl WITH the intact clips on the bottom, but for now the cover is just too good to replace with anything less. I'll live with the small amount of J-B weld that is there until then..
iv used j.b. weld for a multitude of fixes, used properly its a god send.but alas what if you ever want to undo what youv done?well iv got a "fordem " flex shaft pensil grip carving/ hoby tool. or" dremal," there are lots of diff. atachments that can undo anything youv glued,, it takes patience & the proper selection of tips, maby more than 1 on same job , but it works.this tool is invaluable hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the assistance. The coin tray was blocking the asktray bracket. After geting into the console, I can see that someone (in the past) forced the unit apart. This resulted in a broken parts.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
OH! don't get me wrong. I love J-B weld and use it all the time for the proper jobs. and I have found an Exacto knife with the pointed blade a godsend to remove the J-B weld for "another Go". (like cleaning the window switches in the SEC, and yes I used J-B Weld to replace them too. JUST NOT SO MUCH AS THE CURBSTONER USED!)
Anyone ever tried a magnet on J-B weld? It looks plastic, but it has such fine metal particals in it it actually can be picked up by a magnet. Just found this out the other day and I been having J-B Weld in my tool box for years.

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,129 Posts
right on.about the jb weld. pardon my ignorance but is a curbstoner someone who sits on a curb , stoned? not that i thought you were calling me one, but i just want to keep up with the lingo.once i was told this guy was dualy adicted! i thought man he looks fked up, maby i quit to soon, should haved tried some dualy first.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
A Curbstoner( at least here in CA) is a guy or gal that buys and sells cars without a used car dealer license or a lot and merely buys and sells them from......the curbstone in front of his/her house.

Nothing to do at all with drugs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts