Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SL500
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those with Ash Grey interiors - Has anyone noticed a greenish tinge on the MB-Tex upholstered areas (roll bar, top lid, seat backs, etc.) on their R129's? I think it might be from sun exposure and/or the use of certain chemical cleaners. It kind of bothers me on mine and I've been considering re-coloring those areas....

·
Registered
1987 560SL Gone but not forgotten! & 1999 SL500 For Now
745 Posts
MBTex

For those with Ash Grey interiors - Has anyone noticed a greenish tinge on the MB-Tex upholstered areas (roll bar, top lid, seat backs, etc.) on their R129's? I think it might be from sun exposure and/or the use of certain chemical cleaners. It kind of bothers me on mine and I've been considering re-coloring those areas....
The sme trim pieces on my '99 w/JAVA interior have the same greenish cast. My upholstery guy recommends re-coloring wih a product like SEM's. My decision is Do a little
Vs do it all and a pro to do it correctly, or live with it.

Bob

·
Registered
2001SL500R
20 Posts
I have that problem with one section of the top lid. I thought the PO mis matched a replacement but on inspection I think it's color changed, very odd. If you get a close sem match to the Ash interior please let me know. Years ago I changed the color of a dash panel from red to dark blue. Very easy if you use the prep product and follow instructions. Twenty years later it looks great.

·
Registered
11 ML350 4 Matic - 00 SL500 - 95 E420 Past 08 E350 -4Sport -1997 E320 - 1992 E400 - 1971 250C
150 Posts
I re-colored all my ash interior pieces, Got some SEM at the local Paint supply house, took off what I had to, others I did in place, looks hundred times better.

But to answer your ? Yes it is from exposure, My low mileage car came from Florida, Not only the grey turned, but most of plastic is brittle or broken, replaced, Headlight rims, Rain Sensor, Sun Visor surounds, etc.

Mike M

·
Registered
2001SL500R
20 Posts
Mine lived in Atlanta and Charlotte and now in Seneca SC. What color Sem matched Ash best for you? I only have a green tint problem on a section of the top cover and would only need to coat the cover, not the other areas mentioned.
I am also replacing some of the plastic pieces.

Fyi there are only 6 drivers side and 1 passenger side dash vents left in MB stock system in Ash. I am replacing mine.

·
Registered
2000 SL500
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I re-colored all my ash interior pieces, Got some SEM at the local Paint supply house, took off what I had to, others I did in place, looks hundred times better.

But to answer your ? Yes it is from exposure, My low mileage car came from Florida, Not only the grey turned, but most of plastic is brittle or broken, replaced, Headlight rims, Rain Sensor, Sun Visor surounds, etc.

Mike M
Did you do the top lid and roll bar? If so, did you remove either or just re-color them in place?

·
Registered
11 ML350 4 Matic - 00 SL500 - 95 E420 Past 08 E350 -4Sport -1997 E320 - 1992 E400 - 1971 250C
150 Posts
Removed the top lid and hardware. The bar I did in place along w seat backs The color match I did w good piece and took to store.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ash Grey Discoloration

My ML 350 has ash grey seats. The driver seat is discoloring blueish. Mercedes Benz (South Africa) claims I am sweating excessively resulting in discoloring. What a lot of bulls.... The claim its not a common problem therefore MB ( SA) will not attend to the problem.
How common is this problem?

·
Registered
2000 ML320 1987 560SL
231 Posts
Could you please post what SEM color matched the best? In many markets SEM outlets are hard to find or have aged displays with shallow inventories. Most of SEM's business is to trim shops so it's not a big surprise that their retail effort suffers. I've got some trim that while not exposed to UV have a green tint now. I need a good color match to make things look good.

The reason MB's colors change over time is poor choice of coloring agents at the time of manufacture. I once sat next to one of the few chemists who work on coloring agents on a long flight. His job was to formulate the coloring agents for the many different types of plastic used in interiors not only when new but when aged. He said that many synthetic agents change color at different rates. Different plastics and different processes require different tinting agents. It's not a big mystery to chemists who work within budgets. The "natural" agents retain color the best and cost the most. The guy had a MS in chemistry from the University of California was Hispanic and quite frankly looked like he worked on a landscaping crew. It was about the most errant first impression I've ever had. We had a long and interesting flight from LA to Houston.

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Sounds like sticking with black is a wise decision :smile

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,228 Posts
even current cars with colors similar to the ash grey have problems with the color going greenish, or picking up blue from jeans.

·
Registered
2001 CLK320 Coupe
11 Posts
Ha, no one has the guts to say, sure: SEM ___ is light ash. And SEM ___ is ash or orion gray.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts