Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ASD light has been permanaently on for some time. I am not experiencing any problems. New legislation in UK means that I will fail my MOT test and have to take my car off road. Anything to do with the brakes is a serious failure in UK and I am not allowed to drive it, even home from the MOT station and if I do will risk getting a £2000 fine and points on my licence or maybe taken to court and banned. My mechanic does not know what to do. The car's diagnostic system is the first ever introduced by Mercedes in 1984 being the 8 pin (X92), which is flash/blink. I get 8 blinks and the fault is listed as Magnetic valve or brake light switch. The brake light switch has been replaced. The light went off for about 1 month and then came on and stayed on. As the car is so old I cannot find a mechanic who has had experience with this problem and knows how to resolve it as most mechanics rely on computer diagnostic tests. Can anyone help. My mechanic is trying to get a schematic of the ASD electrical system to start with but has no knowledge on this problem.

·
Registered
R107 300 SL, Year 1986 and C124 300CE-24 Year 1990
96 Posts
Hi,

I have a 300CE-24 July 1990, I had this problem twice. Same code during blink out. I reset the diagnostics and everthing was good.
Best regards from Germany

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks. I will try the diagnostic test again. We did this test last year, and then replaced the brake light switch. The ASD light stayed off for a month and then came back on. If the light would stay off for a month I would be able to get it through the MOT. Obviously the problem needs to be resolved but at least I would have time to find another mechanic. The last garage who tried to repair my car kept it for 10 weeks! I had to turn up with a transporter and remove my car from them, and I took it to Mercedes who charged me £2,200. I now have a mechanic who comes to my home but he doesn't know what to do on this occasion.

·
Registered
R107 300 SL, Year 1986 and C124 300CE-24 Year 1990
96 Posts
As I wrote. I had this problem in 6 Years 2 times, same blink code as you had. Cleared the failure and everything was good.
I have a two wire 5 meter cable in my trunk, just in case I have to clear the fault.

·
Registered
95" W124/ E220 MasterPiece and 01" W210/ E200 KOMPRESSER
243 Posts
Fault Code 8 (8 blinks) refers Y38 ASD valve failure.
Could be the Y38 ASD valve per se or its wire/circuit or power to trigger it (i.e. OVP).

Normally it could be erased once you read the code and follow the procedure of erasing codes.
Following are official steps to check / examine ...good luck...
My guess would be the OVP.....if you haven't replaced it in recent two years.....good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts