Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a cold going around here lately...and also recently my beloved BMW 740 won't start because of what I guess to be lack of spark. And tonight, after driving the 560 around for a while and parking it, it now won't start. It seems to me that it is getting fuel but it won't even turn over...any ideas? I'm happy that it did this on a friday instead of any other weekday since it would have caused major problems for me!

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Infectious disease

There seems to be a cold going around here lately...and also recently my beloved BMW 740 won't start because of what I guess to be lack of spark. And tonight, after driving the 560 around for a while and parking it, it now won't start. It seems to me that it is getting fuel but it won't even turn over...any ideas? I'm happy that it did this on a friday instead of any other weekday since it would have caused major problems for me!
Allergic reaction due to being too close to a BMW.

Older batteries don't like the cold. It may be obvious, but what's the state of the battery?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's brand new...I was driving it multiple times within the last hour and now it suddenly won't start. Maybe it's a bad starter...I'm really not sure but having two cars die in under a week is VERY stressful not to mention heartbreaking. When I was driving I thought about stopping to pick up some things from the store but I had a really nasty feeling in my gut about it so I drove on...I guess my car and I have bonded.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you try to start in neutral?
No but I just did...and all I have to say is this...:bowdown:

If you were here I would not only owe you a beer but a keg! I didn't even think about it and I was getting more than a little concerned because it just came back from the shop. Faulty neutral safety switch?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I know with my car I have to fiddle with the shifter to get it ALL THE WAY in park otherwise it get's pissy. It works for me.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,253 Posts
No but I just did...and all I have to say is this...:bowdown:

If you were here I would not only owe you a beer but a keg! I didn't even think about it and I was getting more than a little concerned because it just came back from the shop. Faulty neutral safety switch?
I am not the expert here, but sometimes things under the shifter can get out of alignment, or the neutral switch might be the culprit.

BTW, offering beer to a German is a risky thing to do, haha.
My regular liquor store has Pilsner Urquell on sale at only $ 4.99 a six pack, and I took a few cases.
Cheers indeed

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Sounds like you need a new shifter bushing.
Hah, if I didn't just fall in Love with my new diesel truck I would! It's currently getting serviced and Upgraded.:D

·
Registered
212 Posts
I know with my car I have to fiddle with the shifter to get it ALL THE WAY in park otherwise it get's pissy. It works for me.
Samething here, A little right to left shimmy does the job. Kind terrifies me when it changes gears without having to press the brake though.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Samething here, A little right to left shimmy does the job. Kind terrifies me when it changes gears without having to press the brake though.
MY GOD, I have never needed to press the brake on this car to change from park to drive 0_0 Is it supposed to need brake!?

--Sorry Don't want to steal topic >_<--

·
Registered
212 Posts
MY GOD, I have never needed to press the brake on this car to change from park to drive 0_0 Is it supposed to need brake!?

--Sorry Don't want to steal topic >_<--
:rotfl: I questioned that my damned self, It shifts soo freely (at times) without any pressure on the brake. If it's not suppose too, then Sir, We are screwed.

I think it has something to do with a loose or malfunctioning 'Neutral Safety Switch' (for most cars anyway, who knows when it comes to the w126).

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Damn it. I am soo glad I am getting a new drivetrain!

·
Registered
341 Posts
A similar thing happened to me. After a night shift the car refused to start, all lights came on, horn working well, engine dead, not cranking. ICU nurses, security and orderlies trying to help start the car. After 45 minutes of failed jump starts etc. I sat behind the wheel and noticed I'd left the car in reverse,,, shifted to park and started without a hassle. STILL a big joke at work after 3 months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts