Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have problems getting fuel in their diesel with the newer formula fuel? I have an '82 300TD, and it takes 20 minutes of "click-click-click" just to get 7 or 8 gallons in it. That is so much fun when it's 8 degrees out and a 30mph wind. The fuel just foams up and shuts it off. I have tried 6 or 8 different stations, and while some are a little better that others, most of them do the same thing. Anyway to stop the foaming? Are there any particular stations, fuel brands, or truck stops that don't foam?

· Registered
2014 Mercedes-Benz GLK250 Bluetec, 1981 Mercedes-Benz 300D W123
601 Posts
Does anyone else have problems getting fuel in their diesel with the newer formula fuel? I have an '82 300TD, and it takes 20 minutes of "click-click-click" just to get 7 or 8 gallons in it. That is so much fun when it's 8 degrees out and a 30mph wind. The fuel just foams up and shuts it off. I have tried 6 or 8 different stations, and while some are a little better that others, most of them do the same thing. Anyway to stop the foaming? Are there any particular stations, fuel brands, or truck stops that don't foam?
Point the nozzle to the bottom of the filler neck with the nozzle half way out. Rather than shooting down the neck, it kinda acts more like a water slide and smoothly flows down with less force. Also if there is a lot of foam at the top, pull the nozzle out and push the car up and down in the rear and you will hear air escaping and you will see the fuel lever (and foam) go down into the tank.

· Registered
1984 300D
5,893 Posts
Does it do that if you fill up at a different Station?

If it only happens at one Station it is likely a problem with their setup.

Then there is a sinister side. Is it possible the Station is causing aeration of the Fuel so it takes up more Volume to cheat People?

Are you using the Nozzle that the Big Rigs use to fill their 200 Gallon Tanks? The Station I go to has both the Fast Fill Nozzles and the Normal Fill Nozzles.

My fist thought when I read the problem was that it was a symptom of the Fuel Tank Vent bing partially restricted. But, I don't know if a restriction would cause the foaming.

· Registered
1985 300D Turbo-diesel
261 Posts
I have the same problem with all the stations around here, it doesn't really foam, but rather rushes back at the nozzle, so if the station has one of those spring things attached to the nozzle, I just rest the 3rd link of the spring on the edge of the filler neck, and it fills it up perfectly, no need to clickity click.

pointing the nozzle towards the bottom of the filler neck just makes it worse for me, so it may take some experimenting

· Registered
380SL diesel
1,284 Posts
I don't really have any problems with foaming during fill. After it clicks off I take a few minutes to focus in getting it full in the neck to the same point each time as part of a routine to track mileage really closely. I have to wait for the foam in the neck to subside between each top off.

Most of my venting comes out the fill neck. I don't have the vent pipe like you guys do. I'm using a gas tank (as opposed to a diesel tank) and have it rigged to vent through the top. (Note center vent that rises up about 5" to atmosphere)

· Registered
1984 300D
59 Posts
Diesel fuel foams. I use the middle setting on the automatic clip and I get good results. Truck stops have much larger hoses as they are pumping a couple hundred gallons at a time. Once the foam clicks off on my Duramax I can get another gallon in by adding it slowly. The 300? maybe a quart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.