Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 500SL (Japan) - 133K KMS
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So.... my sister gave birth to her first new-born (baby boy!) 10am this morning, and me being the responsible first-time uncle, rushed for the door upon receiving the call, only to be greeted by what looked like a beautiful woman with a missing tooth (the tow hook cover). On such a happy day, I still had to drop a few F-bombs and curse the gods that spite me!

Understanding that spare tow hook covers are as readily available as yellowcake uranium, I'm reaching out to anybody that may have a spare one!

Still scouring the net, calling recycling yards, and eBay... no joy yet.

On a positive note, my front-end recently took a hit-and-run, so I'm getting a new grille and some paint work done. I'm hoping that I can save a few bucks by asking them to paint the tow hook cover since they've got all the materials ready to go.

For reference: Stealership price (unpainted): $202 (CAD); part number: 129-880-00-05 (or 129-880-00-05-9999)

A couple of questions:
-In the event I need to purchase new, the cheapest I found it at was $108 (USD). Not painted, but primed. Anyone know of a cheaper source?

-This is probably a silly question but considering the shape of the cover, can a used one be repainted well enough?

-Any DIY guide on how to be the "fun" uncle?

Cheers.

·
Registered
2010 SL63 AMG, 2001 SL500, 2012 Corvette Z06, 2013 Lexus RX350, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2015 Ram
488 Posts
It seems that it would be so simple to make some molds from an existing pair of tow hook covers, and then start reproducing them with fiberglass and resin, with a couple of bolts embedded for attaching them. Open up an eBay account, sell em for a realistic price and make some money.

We buyers could easily prime and paint them ourselves with a little spray can of matched paint from our local automotive store.

·
Registered
2001 SL500 / 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 HO CTD / 2010 Subaru Outback
313 Posts
... and when you do replace the cover, please take a few minutes to secure it to the car with a black nylon zip-tie. If you loop the zip-tie through the mesh and around any nearby bumper internal bracing it's essentially invisible and quite secure. A few cents now can save you hundreds of $$$ later!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts