Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have finally been hit by it - on a public holiday no less and while we are down to one car because of the bender in the wife's car last Friday (ARRGGHH).

Going out today to get some provisions, motoring along nicely until, stumble, miss, die....

Charge and ABS light on.

Would not restart, but will turn over.

Checked OVP fuses but of course I dropped one of them down the firewall so no idea if it had blown (nowhere to find a spade fuse within walking distance of home today).

So, I am thinking the OVP (will put in new fuse as a start) hopefully not the relay as it is only about four years old, CPS although why it would suddenly die is a mystery, or EZL which last time I was at the mechanics he suggested it may be going west - lucky I have a spare.

Very bloody annoying anyhow.

Happy Australia Day...

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,077 Posts
I had this happen and it turned out to be a corroded wire connection to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,443 Posts
The OVP fuse is ten amps and that is two strands of copper wire from an extension cord. Two small strands of copper wire twisted together and shoved into the OVP fuse socket should get it running (pun intended) again.

Make a fuse and see if that fixes the problem long enough to drive to a fuse selling location.

Don't forget that you can jumper the FPR on it's socket too, taking that lump out of the troubleshooting equation.

Happy Australia day to you too!!

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, time for suggestions - swapped the FPR, replaced the spade fuses in the OVP, cranks fine, can hear the fuel pump - but no start...

beginning symptom was stumble, miss, die while on the highway doing 100kph - unable to start.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,507 Posts
Did you pull a plug wire and check to see if you had any spark. I am beginning to think that maybe the EZL went Kaput more so than the CPS. The CPS units usually wait till the engine has been shut down and then gives up the ghost. Have you checked for any other loose/corroded connections at the EZL. Perhaps you might try taking the distributor cap off to inspect the rotor button, I have seen those desintigrate in the past. Good luck 420 SE and I hope it is something very simple.

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sadly, the spare EZL I have turns out NOT to be for my car :(

rotor and cap both new within past 5000kms, no loose connections.

So it seems I am looking for an EZL 007 545 22 32 (Bosch 0 227 400 710) if anyone should have one lying around.

I am going to have to have the car towed to a mechanic as it is currently sitting outside the front of a neighbours house.

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The EZL in question (having spent the day trying to research it) is an eight pin rather than four and used in the high performance spec engine (so unlikely to be found in the NA market) but likely to be found in UK (and by extension HK) and Italian delivered cars...

Apparently it has additional knock sensing function.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,507 Posts
The EZL in question (having spent the day trying to research it) is an eight pin rather than four and used in the high performance spec engine (so unlikely to be found in the NA market) but likely to be found in UK (and by extension HK) and Italian delivered cars...

Apparently it has additional knock sensing function.
If you have any trouble 420 SE sourcing out a good EZL then I might have a temporary replacement that you can have. It is a good unit as I did test this one out on my 560 when I pulled it at the JY last year. The part numbers do not match what you have posted but I pulled this EZL from a 1987 420SEL and the part numbers are:

BOSCH 8 ZyL
--0 227 400 600 D116 268
made in Germany EZ ---
--- 545 92 32

sorry but I could not read all the part numbers but maybe you can tell from the pic what it is and if you can use it.

Attachments

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for that, but it is four pin not eight. I have a spare EZL which is four pin (going to be up for sale soon!) which does not fit. The eight pin are like hens teeth apparently...

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,419 Posts
Cool. Sounds a nightmare. Hope you get it sorted soon. Out of interest i checked mine and its different being an '86. Its the same as the one Grumpy has spare.

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the spare I have is also similar to that.

It is because I have the high performance engine that I have the eight pin EZL apparently.

The stock Australian delivered cars have the four pin - they are easy to come by.

·
Registered
vintage
14,512 Posts
Heh, sounds like your old girl and Dirty Gerty have struck up a long-distance relationship of mutual militancy. However, talk of crushers and Porsches seem to have put her back on the straight and narrow for now. Impeccably behaved for the last dozen or so runs.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts