Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the phone with an Arnott tech regarding some questions and returning some AIRmatic and ABC cores. We got to talking shop, and he informed me that Arnott bought Strutmasters! This was definitely news to me.

Also, he told me that they stopped remanufacturing the 4Matic version of the front struts. Their failure rate was too high, and it was just too difficult to do those at the quality level that they were looking for. They still do the 2WD (rear wheel drive) ones; this is only for 4Matic cars. The rear ones are the same for both cars, and yep, they're still making those.

For 4Matic, they now offer only the "new manufacture" front struts, which are the mechanical damping version (constant Sport 1, basically). They're in the low $400's at Rock Auto, no CORE charges. I will probably go with those for the 2006 4Matic car, because the MB remans are close to $800 each, as are the Bilstein-brand new ones. I know that Dave's had less than good luck with Arnott; given my own experience, I'm pretty convinced that someone over there was just licensing the name and using Chinesium, because over here in the States, they're solid. It's either that or the Strutmasters coil spring conversion, and I'd rather stick with AIRmatic on these cars.

Anyway, that's the update with Arnott and Strutmasters...and a little bit more.

Reactions: Jayare

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005, S550 4Matic 2013
1,281 Posts
I know that Dave's had less than good luck with Arnott; given my own experience, I'm pretty convinced that someone over there was just licensing the name and using Chinesium, because over here in the States, they're solid.

Don't think that is true bud. Their failure rate here in the states is very high as well. You can do a search on the forums and read all about them. My old Indy that has been in business for over 40 years and only works on German cars, won't touch them. He said that it came to a point that he was doing the job twice and sometimes three times. So he stopped using them. My very good friend that owns a German car shop won't touch them either. Same story with him as well. They only do MB Reman units. I did my fronts few years back and he gave them to me for cost which was $509 each at the time. These were the Reman ones. Didn't know they are $800 now. It is kind of steep but I personally will still go Reman if I had to do them again.

·
W220 Moderator
8,093 Posts
Quote:- "He said that it came to a point that he was doing the job twice and sometimes three times. So he stopped using them. My very good friend that owns a German car shop won't touch them either. Same story with him as well. They only do MB Reman units."

My story in a nutshell, useless crap, and I don't care what clone speak bullshit Arnott tell y'all in the States, they sell Chinese :poop: .

·
Registered
Too many to list
10,272 Posts
I think arnott is just relabeling Chinese these days and offering their own warranty for their markup

·
Registered
2003 S500
3,057 Posts
No idea what goes on with the manufactured bit, compressors, etc. My only interest is in the rebuilt struts, and as far as I can determine, they are still rebuilding those in Florida, at least for the North American market..

Thus far, I have had one faulty upon receipt (very odd failure - apparently, the shaft actually broke inside the strut) but no leaks or subsequent failures. If I remember correctly, that's one DOA, six with no failures or problems. These are all standard rebuilt W220 struts. I expect that, given the cost differentials and my experiences, I'll keep taking the chance on the rebuilts.

·
Registered
2003 S500
3,057 Posts
There is an old Southern USA saying - "Speak of the Devil, and up he pops!" I guess I just proved it again...

I just installed a new Airmatic Valve Block - a really fiddly little job. After I finished, I was checking the under-body nose panels, and I jacked the front up two or three inches. Ouch! That immediately created a very noticeable air leak from the left front strut - which just happens to be the only one on the car that I haven't changed yet.

Okay - Ordered Arnott rebuilt thru Autozone. $383 plus tax and $60 core charge, free delivery to my home June 15th (shipped directly from Arnott), less 20% ($76.60), so the final cost after I take the core back will be about $312. That will be all four struts, new valve block and self-rebuilt compressor. I'm hoping for a reasonable period of trouble-free Airmatic operation...

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No idea what goes on with the manufactured bit, compressors, etc. My only interest is in the rebuilt struts, and as far as I can determine, they are still rebuilding those in Florida, at least for the North American market..

Thus far, I have had one faulty upon receipt (very odd failure - apparently, the shaft actually broke inside the strut) but no leaks or subsequent failures. If I remember correctly, that's one DOA, six with no failures or problems. These are all standard rebuilt W220 struts. I expect that, given the cost differentials and my experiences, I'll keep taking the chance on the rebuilts.
This has been more like my own experience, and even the one that was showing a bad "Y52y2" damper solenoid in SDS was probably just fine (that strut was actually performing normally in driving); cleaning the electrical contacts fixed that problem. So, with five Arnott reman struts so far, I've had good experience. My mechanic buddy has likewise had good experience with them on his S500. With that said, for 2WD cars, new Bilsteins are close enough to be financially viable. That's 2WD.

The price differential on 4Matics, though, is huge now, yeah, at least here in the States. I would even call it obscene. At those prices, that Strutmasters 4Matic coil-over kit starts looking very tempting, given how well it's performed on our S600....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts