Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

· Unimog Moderator
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
July 2012 Arnold Schwarzenegger has long been famous for driving Humvees, at one time owning an entire fleet of the High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles. But what do you do when you’re looking to diversify your collecion, what kind of car does an action star move on to? It looks like it will be a brand new Unimog U1300 for Schwarzenegger. The former Governor of California was seen testing the new Unimog on the test track at the Unimog Museum this last week.

For both the museum staff and museum visitors,Schwarzenegger’s recent visit came as a complete surprise. To the amazement of many museum visitors, Schwarzenegger tested alongside former Mercedes-Benz employee and Mertec founder, René Dusseldorp, on the trail outside of the museum. Schwarzenegger then made his way through the current Unimog exhibits “Special Operations Unimog: Rescue – Help Mountains” result. An Austiran native from the Unimog drive system area was particularly happy about his local celebrities visit.

The Unimog Museum in Gaggenau, located in the Murg River Valley, is open Tuesday through Sunday (10am – 5pm) and offers something for the entire family.

· Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
4,313 Posts
Didn't he previously own a unimog? H8unting camp truck or some such.

· Unimog Moderator
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two, we've found one, looking for pictures of the other. It's almost like when he became govinator, they did a media kill and erased all pictures of any non-american equipment (conspiracy hat on), though I still found pictures of him in his G500, so maybe not ;) but a good friend of mine had the forthought to print out the pictures from the ebay auction :)

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/4997414-post77.html

· Unimog Moderator
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No one else commented.

They have a brand new 1300 still? NOS? Special order? Article mistake? Restored job?

I see the one he's riding in has a Merex sticker on it.

· Registered
U1450L DOKA
16,314 Posts
OK
I'll fess up....
I was the Art Director on Predator.
It is three distinct movies if you analyze it....
First semi- lame set up/ jungle stuff, that gets better
With ol'PAinless and the Alabama tick stuff,
Cut to an episode of the A Team, with stunt men swimming
Through the air ( the attack on The Rebel's camp),
And then the closing act where the Predator
Manifests himself as a viewable entity....
And there is a reason behind each third...
But,
"'it's Chinatown, Jake ..."

Or was it : " Get do da Chopper !!!"

Ok, for now.

· Registered
U1450L DOKA
16,314 Posts
The Wheelbase looks shorter than 3250. If that had the Doka cab, the rear corner of the cab
Would be close to the rear fender, unlike on a 3250 WB truck, if you get my drift....
Also, interesting in that they list it as a U1300, not a U1300L.
I just wonder if they concocted a " new" , but 25 year legal, truck to import. I don't understand why, as neither of his other trucks seem to have met the criteria....

Also, something is going on with the Wheels. On some Military UNIMOGS for the Thai Army, they
Were equipped with a cast center, 5 spoke wheel. From what little can be seen here, it looks
To have a similar wheel.

· Registered
1988 Mercedes Benz U1300L OM366, fast axles
244 Posts
The entire truck seems to be an interesting concoction. Look how far the rear wheel sticks out past the fender or the short fenders on the front with plastic mud guards. I think it's all UHN stuff put on an older U1300 chassis to get it into the US.

Whole cab and rear body etc etc is UHN I suspect.

· Registered
U1450L DOKA
16,314 Posts
I think the cab is UHN as well- MEREX had a whole yard of them at one point.
The wheels have to be 22.5's, as that pattern Michelin XZL only comes in that wheel size.

I'm tending to agree- a ground up build, UHN cab, SBU axles , possibly a custom wheelbase,
Certainly something less than 3250.
I don't think the wheels have any connection to the Thai military cast units, since they are
22.5" diameter.
Unless, of course, the Thai units were as well- I have to pull the book out.

The plastic fender bumps are from the SBU, raised-cab turbo units with large tires, and they
Pre-date the UHN series.

Another detail : Coan muffler into a stack. First time I recall seeing that.

· Registered
416L Doka and U1200
864 Posts
Humm,
Ex president of the country of California with tree huggers & smog haters trying to import something that he was a part of preventing from being imported in the first place?
Politicians would never do anything like that!

I love our country it is the government that scares me.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.