Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1984 MERCEDES-BENZ 300 TURBO DIESEL, 1978 CHEVROLET K20 CUSTOM DELUXE
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 Mercedes Benz S500

i'm used to people saying how the windows on these cars are bulletproof. this time the guy gives a valid reason for the windows to be bulletproof. so do you think they are actually bulletproof or do you think he assumes they are. i would imagine it would be quite expensive to have bullet proof windows installed.:)

·
1995 Mercedes S420, 1995 SL320, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1,701 Posts
Almost positive they're not. Those look like pretty standard window frames to me from the interior shot, and armored glass installations usually modify the window frames fairly significantly.

Also, nobody just armors the windows; in most armoring jobs, glass can represent nearly 85% or more of the total cost. There is literally no reason to just install armored glass and leave the rest of the car alone.

Still, its a really nice car for $1,900. I wonder what 'TLC' it requires.

·
Banned
2008 C200K (W204) & 1998 SL500 (R129) Imperial Red
3,373 Posts
Lol.. "My wife is a Judge and the windows are armored"

Yes now we believe him...

:big laugh::big laugh::big laugh:

·
Registered
2001 CLK 320 Cab., 1989 300SE, 1980 300SD
129 Posts
The gentleman knows not of that which he speaks. The windows are not bulletproof. Double pane glass, yes, bulletproof, no. :twak:

Evidently, the gentleman is ill-informed. The W140 introduced double-pane glass as a sound insulation feature (as well as having temperature insulator/condensation reduction benefits). To many of the bozos looking to make a buck off a vehicle they know nothing about, it certainly appears "unusual", so they jump to a conclusion that it "must be" bulletproof glass.

It is not entirely beyond imagination that such a car would have had such a conversion performed (executive sedans are likely candidates for this, to be sure), but armoring adds thousands of pounds to a vehicle's weight, and would be immediately noticeable while driving.

From the poster's poor grammar and lack of any real information about the vehicle, I would more presume he is unaware of the facts about his vehicle. This does not bode well for the vehicle (a technological showpiece in its heyday) having received proper maintenance over the years, but at the end of the day the price is chump change and you could always sell off the parts for more than you paid for the car itself.

(Incidentally, "Peanut Butter" has never been the name of a Mercedes color choice.)

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
And heavy the armoured ones are about a inch and a half thick and they dont move up or down the door is really heavy so up goes your fuel bill. down comes your gettaway from the lights

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,667 Posts
It's the same old song and dance so many clueless sellers note about their 140's. "Has bullet proof glass"...you see this commonly on CL listings and sometimes even on ebay. I suppose their double pane glazed home windows are bullet proof as well.

·
Registered
92 W140 300SD 97 VW Jetta TDI 89 VW Fox diesel
996 Posts
utter BS....the driver window in that car is clearly not bullet proof.

it ends up that someone said something to someone else about it being bullet proof and that becomes gospel...total rubbish.

·
Registered
2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
2,332 Posts
Well JMO ! but it don't add up to me ! The price and the FAST SALE smells like a CL scammer all the way. Great story though!!!

Smokie

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
I regret not getting an On-Edge view of this W221 Example in the "Security" Section of the Center of Excellence in the Sindelfingen Plant...

But yes, the glass was around 4 inches thick, and weigh around 200 Pounds.

These are AK-47 Rounds.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts