Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 SLK230 Kompressor, 5 Speed Manual
1,117 Posts
I hope I don't bore everyone with this, because it's only loosely related.

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, in about 1957 or so, our family was going to visit my Aunt near Durant, Oklahoma. We drove from Texas. Just after crossing the Red River there was a big sign something like SEE HITLER'S CAR. It cost .50 a person to walk up on a display trailer and look it over. It was a huge MB sedan with glass about an inch thick.

As a small child, my eyes were as big as saucers. My Mom speculated that it was probably just some gangsters car, but my Dad thought that it was genuine.

Sorry to post this slightly off topic, but it's one of those things from your child hood that you don't forget.

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
This bullet proof Mercedes G55 stops 30-cal rounds, but the exterior is virtually unchanged:

Armored Mercedes G55 | Armored Vehicles by Inkas
Hi Tovarish. Your homepage link also goes to that website so I assume you're a representative there? BenzWorld welcomes MB-related information, and I have a special interest in these vehicles, but you may wish to "connect" with the members here first and then move ahead to offering your services in the appropriate forum section, that being the "for sale" section.

Welcome and I hope this will be the first of many contributions to the site, I'm sure you have lots of info and stories to share.

·
Registered
2015 C300 4Matic, 1978 240D
657 Posts

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, in about 1957 or so, our family was going to visit my Aunt near Durant, Oklahoma. We drove from Texas. Just after crossing the Red River there was a big sign something like SEE HITLER'S CAR. It cost .50 a person to walk up on a display trailer and look it over. It was a huge MB sedan with glass about an inch thick.

As a small child, my eyes were as big as saucers. My Mom speculated that it was probably just some gangsters car, but my Dad thought that it was genuine.

Sorry to post this slightly off topic, but it's one of those things from your child hood that you don't forget.
Sorry, but they shot hitler's car to pieces :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not trying to sell it here guys, agree - this maybe belongs in a different section, i am just getting to know the place. I am also the owner of the MB, thank you for the warm welcome ! :)

·
Registered
2008 E320 Bluetec, 1988 560SL totalled unto death). 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, 1983 300CD
1,342 Posts
I've been trying to ignore this thread

But I guess I am weak.

I rode in one once. It belonged to the U.S. embassy in Athens, Greece. I was the U.S. Navy liaison to the Greek Navy during a NATO fleet exercise. I don't know about the body, but the glass was super-thick and of course, would not roll down.

All I can say is that the experience would have been enhanced if the air conditioner had worked.

·
Registered
S500, ML320, C240
22 Posts
I own and manage a vehicle armoring business, mostly executive vehicles in the past 26 years.

G-class is an ideal vehicle for armoring mainly because all transparencies are flat, and it's build on a good platform.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that is the problem with armored vehicles - nice and clean from the plant, they get sent places where they do not get service or maintenance

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
that is the problem with armored vehicles - nice and clean from the plant, they get sent places where they do not get service or maintenance
Very true. The time when politicians and celebrities living in metropolitan areas were the predominant buyers of such vehicles, things are quickly evolving to match the world's security needs. With wars, kidnappings, and the like, everyday citizens (of means), charity groups in third world countries and even news crews dispatched to world's hot spots have a use for these vehicles. When someone is shooting at you on a weekly basis, you tend to forget about the clay bar and replacing those ball joints. :)

·
Registered
1982 230E
3 Posts

It may well have been Hitler's car you saw...
Adolf Hitler's 1940 Grosser Mercedes W150 cabriolet - Team-BHP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
are G55 no more?

Heard rumors the G55 is discontinued in 2012, and no more "civilian" G-class for sale as of 2013. Can anyone confirm that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts