Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
W124 E300 12v 1992 and a 2009 Crown Victoria
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All:

I adjusted the hood and the grill. I somehow see the adjustment is a little off specially the gaps between the grill and the headlights, and the grill and bumper.

Now, I can't find a pre-facelifted w124 around here to compare with and can't find photos with good angles on the subject spots. Even if I could, I wouldn't be able to tell if it is the right adjustment.

So, I ask of you to kindly compare these photos of my w124 to your own w124 for the purpose of knowing if it was done properly. I'd appreciate comments out of experience only as well.

Here are the photos:

I'm really skeptical and the looks of it bother me. I won't have a peace of mind unless I'm told what is wrong and fix it, if there is any, or that it is just fine and nothing is wrong with it. I need someone to talk to :(

Thank you in advance.

Note: it is the same car on the signature. I just painted the bumpers with the same color of the lower part.

·
Registered
1988 "Zender" 300CE Coupe, 2009 Renault Koleos, 2007 Kia Rio Sport
3,189 Posts
Here's some MB CE advert pictures pre-facelift.
Looks right from what I can see. They added small pieces between lights and grill later on.

765684_1396645_3552_2534_87F32.jpg
766061_1397499_4724_3150_10C320_05.jpg
766058_1397489_4724_3150_10C320_02.jpg

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Now I feel batter :)

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,951 Posts
the gaps look near identical to my 300E, I too was worried they were off especially about the gap between the bottom of the grill and bumper but comparing it to MB brochures it's the same. Nice car by the way!

·
Registered
1988 "Zender" 300CE Coupe, 2009 Renault Koleos, 2007 Kia Rio Sport
3,189 Posts
Thanks guys. Now I feel batter :)
No Problemo !

جيد أن أراك في المنتدى BENZWORLD يا صديقي!
آمل أن يكون هذا العمل ترجمة جوجل بشكل صحيح

:D

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
The gap between the grille and bumper seems to be on the bigger side than what I've seen. I think that's why you're asking the group.

To compare, here's my mechanic's 1990 300TE

There is a slight gap even in the factory pics, but not that big like yours has. My recommendation, is to loosen the grille screws (6 of them), but do not remove them. Then if you can, pull down the grille so you can adjust the alignment properly. Then retighten the screws.

Notice in the images below that the hood line is smooth when it transitions to the grille. The part that does not appear smooth is the hood star base. Ignore the headlight alignment to the grille, the headlight was misaligned.

Maybe this is a better image:

I notice there is a slight mis-alignment in this image, probably the same on the other side. The grille corner does not line up with the hood smoothly.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the gaps look near identical to my 300E, I too was worried they were off especially about the gap between the bottom of the grill and bumper but comparing it to MB brochures it's the same. Nice car by the way!
Well thank you, for both of your remarks about the adjustment and the car. Wait until you sea the rest of it sometime :thumbsup:.

No Problemo !

جيد أن أراك في المنتدى BENZWORLD يا صديقي!
آمل أن يكون هذا العمل ترجمة جوجل بشكل صحيح

:D
That's kind of you my friend.

Formal Arabic language is too complicated and Google translator always blows it up :rolleyes: but the meaning is there most of the time. Sometimes the result turns out very funny specially presenting definite articles and genders.

The gap between the grille and bumper seems to be on the bigger side than what I've seen. I think that's why you're asking the group.

There is a slight gap even in the factory pics, but not that big like yours has. My recommendation, is to loosen the grille screws (6 of them), but do not remove them. Then if you can, pull down the grille so you can adjust the alignment properly. Then retighten the screws.

Notice in the images below that the hood line is smooth when it transitions to the grille. The part that does not appear smooth is the hood star base. Ignore the headlight alignment to the grille, the headlight was misaligned.

I notice there is a slight mis-alignment in this image, probably the same on the other side. The grille corner does not line up with the hood smoothly.

So mainly it's about the grill only and no need to do anything to the hood and the headlights.

I understand that (1) the grill can be loosened up a little (the screws) and lowered to reduce the gap with the bumper, and (2) pushed ahead against the hood to completely touch it. I'll probably hafta completely release the grill and manipulate that area around the edges, cuz as I recall, this is the farthest it could have been pushed. Expected from a non-genuine part (the original was smashed).

This is the other side, and the edge of the corner seems to be touching the hood, yet not aligned with the surface of the hood, but the lower part of the corner seems to have a gap. Right now we can ignore the headlight as I just discovered the upper plastic clip (seen like above the fog light when the hood is opened) so the upper left side of it is pushed a little inside.

Thank you for you remarks. Good info added to the inventory.

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes E220T CDI; 1988 Mercedes W124 200D ex-Taxi
50 Posts
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I have the same problem with the headlights - mine seem to be out of adjustment even though I fiddled with them countless times, but I just can't get them to sit closer to the grill.
I've pulled them towards the grill as far as the adjusters allow that. Also, the right headlight seem to be a little bit more inwards than the left one. Here, please take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine are both missing. Yet I still managed to adjust the right headlight and get the grill to sit flush with the rest of the hood.
And I also managed to find myself a pair of good rear shocks for just 20$ and the wood trims around the shifter and heater controls for just 7$ from a guy who was parting his car. I"m happy lol

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
T5
17,016 Posts
That sort of misalignment is usually due to a smack in the front at some stage and not repaired exactly right. Hard to spot sometimes unless you know what to look for. You can fiddle with it all you like and get it looking okay but then the beam focus will be out. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Mine looks like a cross eyed Shar Pei that's been eating lemons but it's just an old beater so I don't care.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I have the same problem with the headlights - mine seem to be out of adjustment even though I fiddled with them countless times, but I just can't get them to sit closer to the grill.
I've pulled them towards the grill as far as the adjusters allow that. Also, the right headlight seem to be a little bit more inwards than the left one. Here, please take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks!
Well, I'm sorry for noticing your reply just now :)

I noticed that the hood is not adjusted well over the left headlight. Try adjusting the seats found at the corners when you open the hood, somewhere towards the finders, until you get the hood inline with the fenders' edges!

Then after that, you can actually bend the grill to align it with the headlights after it is screwed in tight, either backwards of forwards, but without too much pressure to avoid breaking it!

I actually did some work on the grill, hood, headlights and the steal plates under them lately so my car may look different than the pics I posted the the original post!

Hopefully the chassis is not damaged in the first place at that part of it to affect adjustments!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, I'm sorry for noticing your reply just now :)

I noticed that the hood is not adjusted well over the left headlight. Try adjusting the seats found at the corners when you open the hood, somewhere towards the finders, until you get the hood inline with the fenders' edges!

Then after that, you can actually bend the grill to align it with the headlights after it is screwed in tight, either backwards of forwards, but without too much pressure to avoid breaking it!

I actually did some work on the grill, hood, headlights and the steal plates under them lately so my car may look different than the pics I posted the the original post!

Hopefully the chassis is not damaged in the first place at that part of it to affect adjustments!

:thumbsup:
Hey, thanks for chiming in! :)
I actually alligned the hood after I took the photo, so now it sits where it should.
I also fiddled once more with the right headlight, but it's still a bit off. Thankfully, now the gap between it and the grill isn't that big than it was before so I guess I'll just leave it alone.
BTW, may I ask you to send me some pics of your car in it's current condition so I can make one last comparison between yours and mine? I'll be very grateful!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, thanks for chiming in! :)
I actually alligned the hood after I took the photo, so now it sits where it should.
I also fiddled once more with the right headlight, but it's still a bit off. Thankfully, now the gap between it and the grill isn't that big than it was before so I guess I'll just leave it alone.
BTW, may I ask you to send me some pics of your car in it's current condition so I can make one last comparison between yours and mine? I'll be very grateful!
No problemo!

Finally, some good news :)

The car is parked now and is full of dust!

Gotta move the other one to avoid sludge and residue forming in engine and other parts' pipes and reservoirs!

I'll get you some pics once I get it out and clean it well so it can be actually seen :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
No problemo!

Finally, some good news :)

The car is parked now and is full of dust!

Gotta move the other one to avoid sludge and residue forming in engine and other parts' pipes and reservoirs!

I'll get you some pics once I get it out and clean it well so it can be actually seen :)
Thanks a lot! :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
50 Posts
I checked out some of the photos from that thread. My car seems to be OK as far as that gap is concerned so I won't be touching that anymore. :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good to know!

One of the reasons why I prefer the facelifted W124. Does not confuse my eyes in this regard; it is either yes on no to the correct adjustment!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, as promised, here is the latest adjustments I did:

[/IMG]

:surrender:

However, unfortunately I had an accident the day I got the cleaned and out, two days ago, after a two week stalling while I move the other one. Now all of that is not there anymore :(

Well, gotta have faith and accept my fate :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts