Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Having just returned to Mercs after a break of almost 20 Years I was shocked when a salesman informed me (The same one who'd just sold me a 2000 E Class, hence me asking you lot) That buying a 2000 model was better than alot of later ones because until very recently Mercedes quality was pretty much dreadfull, Is this true? (Typical of children, I turn my back for a short while and they fall to pieces.) Does this mean (If true) that I'm driving a better Merc than most of you "Rich" & slightly more pretentious owners (He, He) Only kidding, I'll still talk to you, Even if you have broken down, Or have bits of trim hanging off! Bye for now flexy7. :rolleyes:

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
I cant speak for the E class, but for the W220 S class it was a bad vintage:eek: Salesmen use any tactic to get a sale, its there job to:rolleyes:

·
52,804 Posts
As an after thought, try posting your question on the E Class Forum, im sure you will get a better response and a balanced one at that.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Heck no. The later model you can buy the better. What the salesman didn't tell you was that the 2000s were one of the model years to avoid. Mid-90s to earlier-mid 00s were the years.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OMG! I'm shocked, Well that's it I've torched my Merc ,Hope you wasn't just winding me up,Otherwise I've just ruined my absolutely beautiful "new" car, Will have to go & sort out the salesman who sold me a dodgy one. Bye for now flexy7

·
52,804 Posts
Heck no. The later model you can buy the better. What the salesman didn't tell you was that the 2000s were one of the model years to avoid. Mid-90s to earlier-mid 00s were the years.
And thats exactly why I said a Salesmen is simply that, they will lie through their hind teeth to get a sale. But dont worry too much as the E Class 2000 did not have as many problems as the S Class 2000:rolleyes:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey! If it wasn't for you "Yanks" we'd be speaking German,& my Merc wouldn't have cost me as much. (He He)

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
If it is a face lift W210, it should be better against rust on doors and front spring support, I'm afraid salt and rust would be an issue in Scotland at least for earlier W210 cars.

I would agree with asianml on the preferred model years (may be different for different models, I only know a few).

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
I wouldn't really worry about it (too much) especially if it came out as pretty clear and good when you researched on it. Maintain it well an read up on the W210 forums for tips and advice. For engine related information you could also try searching the W163 ML forum since they used the same engines. If you feel you aren't or may not be ready for possible problems to come, do you feel is right for you.

·
52,804 Posts
I wouldn't really worry about it (too much) especially if it came out as pretty clear and good when you researched on it. Maintain it well an read up on the W210 forums for tips and advice. For engine related information you could also try searching the W163 ML forum since they used the same engines. If you feel you aren't or may not be ready for possible problems to come, do you feel is right for you.
Good advice:thumbsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
And remember even at their worst, the least desirable Mercedes is still better that the best BMW. :1poke:

Im allowed to flame having owned a couple of Beemers :p

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Most sales people are a poor source for accurate information.

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
Car have changed in last 20 years. I still hold as a souvenir gear shifting plate from older MB, what was cast aluminum with multi chrome finish. Far cry to today's plastic.
But 20+ years ago new Mercedes cost similar to a house, when now it can be bought for pocket money by lot of people.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was only quoting the salesman to see your reaction, You're a touchy bunch, hubby is a qualified Motorcycle mechanic so hopefully he can help to keep my unreliable 200 E class heap going. If he can keep his Laverda on the road then a Merc should be childs play.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
What's a Laverda?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts