Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
are the 94 headlights the same in 92-99? the reason i ask is because my 94 S500 has a big crack on the lens and i found a couple of sites where they list 92-98? any help would be much appreciated. thanks

-alex

·
Registered
Mercedes 600
1,171 Posts
I believe they changed in the 1995 update.

·
Premium Member
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
dbtk said:
I believe they changed in the 1995 update.

as long as they are halogen, i think they only changed the lens patter, but the light body is the same, however call the dealer just to be sure, they will be able to tell you with a touch of a button.

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
2,264 Posts
I concur with Bayhas, the dealer is the most accurate way to go.

The information I have is that there are essentially two halogens made for the US market for 140s. The chassis break on the lens seems to be 348451 - on, meaning that the last six of your VIN would normally tell you what lens to use.

Another easy way to tell is if your foglights are inboard of your headlights as in the first pic below, you have early headlamps. If your foglights are BELOW your low beams in the same housing you have late headlamps, like the second pic below.

BTW, the second version are far superior to the first because they use a much better bulb v. the 9004 in the early models. This really makes a difference when using the high beams.

Also, I just deleted my headlight wipers (as in the second pic) and really love the clean look!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
dlafever said:
I concur with Bayhas, the dealer is the most accurate way to go.

The information I have is that there are essentially two halogens made for the US market for 140s. The chassis break on the lens seems to be 348451 - on, meaning that the last six of your VIN would normally tell you what lens to use.

Another easy way to tell is if your foglights are inboard of your headlights as in the first pic below, you have early headlamps. If your foglights are BELOW your low beams in the same housing you have late headlamps, like the second pic below.

BTW, the second version are far superior to the first because they use a much better bulb v. the 9004 in the early models. This really makes a difference when using the high beams.

Also, I just deleted my headlight wipers (as in the second pic) and really love the clean look!
yeah, you are absolutely right, when they changed the lens design they changed the headlamp from H4 to H7, so the light body must be different as well.

·
Registered
2004 clk500
928 Posts
bayhas said:
yeah, you are absolutely right, when they changed the lens design they changed the headlamp from H4 to H7, so the light body must be different as well.
if only one lense is broke youre better off getting matching it with what you have now or you will have two different looking headlights. 92-94 have the older style headlights, and 95 up have a different types and the bulbs are different too as mentioned above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts