Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here to this forum.

I normally work on Audi/VW products and I've been contemplating picking one of these up.

What goes wrong on them? Difficult to work on? Reliable? Gas guzzlers???

Let me know.

Thanks guys and gals.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Do a search. All questions have already been answered. Even the worst Mercedes is going to be more reliable then a VW, so your moving in the right direction there!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have an s430 and I love the gas milage for the size and lux. Airmatic is one to look at Relay change to hella, are the upperstruts replace, But before all that you have to tell us what yr, model makes a big difference? I just live north of you,email me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Having owned quite a few vw's, and, being mechanically inclined enough to transplant a vr6 from a 93 corrado into an 85 golf, I have to say that your comment is debatable. Apples and oranges anyway, compare an A8 or similarly priced and equipped LS 400.

I personally chose an '01 S500 over an '01 S8, but MAINLY because the Benz was from FL and the Audi was a Northeast car. Good luck!

Do a search. All questions have already been answered. Even the worst Mercedes is going to be more reliable then a VW, so your moving in the right direction there!

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Having owned quite a few vw's, and, being mechanically inclined enough to transplant a vr6 from a 93 corrado into an 85 golf, I have to say that your comment is debatable. Apples and oranges anyway, compare an A8 or similarly priced and equipped LS 400.

I personally chose an '01 S500 over an '01 S8, but MAINLY because the Benz was from FL and the Audi was a Northeast car. Good luck!
I had an 01 S8 for about half a year and LOVED the car. What I didn't like was the endless repair bills, plastic covering every darn thing in the engine bay, and $200 oil changes. I would pick an 01 S8 over an S500 any day. Much better all around car. I would have kept looking if I were you. They are comparable on the un-reliability level. VW's on the other hand a complete disaster on wheels. They always rank right down there with Land Rover in reliability study. I've worked on a lot of them over the years and most owners tell me that they will never ever touch VW again after such a shotty product. They are always asking me how to best unload their current VW and get into something better. Their electronics and Mexican build quality are about as bad as it gets. The actual German ones aren't much better either. Cheap, cheap, cheap!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah I can't speak from personal experience for any models after '92, although I know a few people that own mk4 Jetta/Golf, still own them and not looking to get rid of them. But these are also people that bought a VW cause they couldn't afford to buy something more expensive, didn't want a cheap cookie cutter (Asian) car, and didn't want an uninspired and poorly designed American car.

I wouldn't be able to compare the S's without having owned, driven, and paid to repair the S8...

·
Registered
299 Posts
VW's on the other hand a complete disaster on wheels. They always rank right down there with Land Rover in reliability study. I've worked on a lot of them over the years and most owners tell me that they will never ever touch VW again after such a shotty product. They are always asking me how to best unload their current VW and get into something better. Their electronics and Mexican build quality are about as bad as it gets. The actual German ones aren't much better either. Cheap, cheap, cheap!!
I met a guy this weekend who had owned a VW with serious electrical problems. He offered 3 VW dealers a blank check to fix his car and they all refused! Basically they considered it unfixable and did not even want to try. I rented a Passat last year in Europe and thought it was a very nice car but would not consider buying one unless the quality improves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New here to this forum.

I normally work on Audi/VW products and I've been contemplating picking one of these up.

What goes wrong on them? Difficult to work on? Reliable? Gas guzzlers???

Let me know.

Thanks guys and gals.
Sometimes it’s the luck of the draw. After my SL500 warranty expired the aggregate cost to repair the car in two years exceeded $ 18,000. I know why not unload the car? I am still in therapy on that one.

However I purchased, against my better judgment, a 2004 S 500 w/ 32K 8 month ago for $ 38K; MB Pre-certified (100K Warranty). Since then I have gone around and added !0K traveling, except for replacing a stuck gear-level shift control unit, not one single problem.

I just took it in for the B service, and not a problem found. The absolutely most reliable BENZ I’ve owned since 1986 560SL I was 20; I know I am a masochist with BENZ.

It’s like a bad marriage, but you get good sex; if you pay for it!!

REMI

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
Sometimes it’s the luck of the draw. After my SL500 warranty expired the aggregate cost to repair the car in two years exceeded $ 18,000. I know why not unload the car? I am still in therapy on that one.

However I purchased, against my better judgment, a 2004 S 500 w/ 32K 8 month ago for $ 38K; MB Pre-certified (100K Warranty). Since then I have gone around and added !0K traveling, except for replacing a stuck gear-level shift control unit, not one single problem.

I just took it in for the B service, and not a problem found. The absolutely most reliable BENZ I’ve owned since 1986 560SL I was 20; I know I am a masochist with BENZ.

It’s like a bad marriage, but you get good sex; if you pay for it!!

REMI
Good analogy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts