Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any speakers that i can put in my 98 c230 that will put out enough bass without adding a

sub in the trunk. The stock speakers are terrible and was wondering if anyone knew of any speakers and prices?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Are there any speakers that i can put in my 98 c230 that will put out enough bass without a....

Mercedes speakers, unlike all aftermarket speakers, are not coaxial, i.e. they have no tweeter to reproduce high frequencies. When MB partnered with Bose a small, powered subwoofer was placed in each door. The amplifier boards were prone to failure and replacements for Bose speakers was costly as they were very low impedance and no aftermarket speakers would match as they are all four ohms. To have any real bass in a MB is only made possible by adding a subwoofer. MB has engineered their cars to keep noise out of the interior so an opening must be created for the bass to enter the interior. Putting a sealed enclosure in the trunk will not produce the best bass but will rattle your trunk lid and entertain the bass freaks on the sidewalk! An enclosure with a partial external port (square to prevent 'whistling')on the top will pass through a small opening in the rear deck and feed the bass inside the car. A grille painted to match your interior will add a finishing touch. A single twelve inch woofer driven by a 2-300watt amplifier will provide all the bass you could want. P.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts