Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine don't light up at night when I turn the headlights on. I imagine there is a panel behind there that may be bad? Or do they actually just not light up? I'm thinking it could go either way.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Here is a step by step for removal and changing the bulbs in the Tempmatic Push Button Unit.

Do you have your dash light dimmer turned up all the way? Not trying to be smart :surrender: the reason I ask is because it is overlooked sometimes by newer 190E owners.

To Remove Pushbutton Tempmatic Control Unit

1 Pull out both center vent outlets by using a pair of needle nose pliers covered with rag.
2 Loosen both screws under vents on right and left of opening and push center console top slightly down.
3 Pull knob from blower switch and pull molding
for blower switch out of center console.
4 Pull connector from switch fresh air/recirculating
air.
5 Lift both clamps on the right and left above the unit, with a pointed tool
6. Pull out complete pushbutton switch unit.
6. Remove both 12-pin connectors from pushbutton
switch unit.

Changing Tempmatic Push Button Unit Bulbs

On the back of Unit Remove cover at top rear in upward direction, while
pushing against both hooks.
2 Push both engaging lugs slightly down
and pull lamp socket out to the rear. Then
remove bulbs from lamp socket.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Any idea what the bulb models are?

You guys are seriously the most informative forum based on a specific car that I have been to.

Many thanks and I'll let you know how it goes!

Edit: Yes the dimmer is up all the way. ;)

·
4,774 Posts
hey Hattenator - are you sure about your instructions?

maybe its for pre-90s, but for the post-90s, all you need to do is take off 2 screws from the bottom of the wood, take the wood off, and you can pull the controls from there. no need to take off the center vents

·
Registered
234 Posts
his car in his profile window says 1990 so I probably have it wrong I knew they changed that but forgot all about it. I hope if I am wrong he reads your directions.

·
Registered
371 Posts
there still is the 2 screws in the vent holes but you also have to remove the ash try and remove the 2 screws down there. then the whole ash tray piece comes out. once that is out you will see two more screws. after all those are removed with the 2 vent screws then your console will come out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No worries, I haven't attempted it yet.

Does the "knob" on the climate slider just pop off? Seemed to be on there pretty good when I attempted to pull it off earlier when I was removing the stereo.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yes, it is an easy fix too. Just remove the surround; pry up on the rear part and slide back towards the back of the car. Be careful not to use too much force when prying or you will break the clips. Once the surround is off, look at the front left part of the shifter; you will see the bulb wires disappearing into the unit. Just tug at it to pull it out and replace the lamp.
Both the lamps are the same, for the shifter and for the fan control. It is part #2721, which is 12V 1.2W T1 1/2 incandescent lamp. It just pulls out of the socket.Make sure you get the right lamp.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I replaced all the 'out' bulbs this afternoon and took lots of pics. This thread was soley responsible for my sucess.

Pics and a new thread to come in a few days, much appreciation to everyone that contributed!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the world of 190s. At the base of the instrument cluster, in the middle is the display for the outside air temperature. On either side of this display is a knob; one of these is the dimmer. Sorry, I can't remember offhand if it is the one on the left or the one on the right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts