Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 E55-1970 280SEC
2,026 Posts
Yes the part that covers the side airbags are leather.

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
hmm are u sure its leather? I was told that no its not simply because of the airbag needing a consistant material to react the same w/airbag deployment. Im no leather expert by any stretch though. The only thing I treat as actual leather in the car for cleaning/conditioning is the seats.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a feeling that the material covering the door airbags is made of leather. So is the longitudinal pouch along the lower side of the door. The pouch between the seat is also leather, and so is the cover lid of the storage box between the seats.

I am actually beginning to appreciate the 'type' of leather the SLK has since it takes weathering or direct UV very well. Imagine what the leather will look like now if it is the smooth type (or Lexus or BMWs or Porsches). The slightly "lower" quality of the leather seems to allow for better weathering. Okay, mine is charcoal and no color paint on it.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
That's been an on going question since the SLK boards started. I agree with Mike619, the covers to the air bags must be consistant to work properly. They must split in the right place, at the right time. You can't get that with leather.
There is very little leather in the SLK interior, most, but not all of the seat covers, and possibly the center consol hatch cover.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
i think the part of the door panels that are covering the airbags are perforated leather.. not sure about the streering wheel airbags though.. that one feels like plastic of some kind

·
Registered
159 Posts
I beg to differ: All the Lexus and Toyota that I have driven for one time or another have side airbags, and it was clear that those panels that enclosed the airbags were made of leather. Therefore, there is leather out there that is at least consistent enough for the deployment of the airbag.

Secondly, if we look closely at the panel of our SLK, there is a seam that runs parallel to the longitudinal direction of the door. Even if the leather of the SLK is not the consistent type, I believe that the airbag will deploy by bursting along this seam, which is firsly the most consistent line of weakness of the panel, and secondly, the weakest engineered part.

So I still think that the side airbag panel is still made of leather, just that the engineers bypassed the problem by joining two pieces of leather so that the airbag can be deployed through the seam if needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts