Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'99 E430 '98 C230
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my '99 E430 headlight lens without having to buy the whole assembly. I have seen Halagon replacement Lens with gaskets available before can't remember where. But my problem is, I need the xenon ones and I have never seen them offered any where.

·
Registered
'99 E430 '98 C230
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have restored them and they look real good but they have several deep pits and need another restore touchup and uv coating. Just would be nice to find some new ones to last another 13 years

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
I'm unsure about this process, there is a film over the lens. I attempted to clean my city lights yesterday using a mothers product. Worked very well on my tundra but saw minimal to no difference on the mercedes. I've also heard of people custom making their lens out of glass, which would be the permanent fix if possible.

·
Registered
'99 E430 '98 C230
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the Ebay xenon assemblys would look beautiful! But at almost a Grand each,I can just look not buy.The lens by them selves should be available..... they are bound to be out there some were, got to keep digging.

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
85 Posts
I'm unsure about this process, there is a film over the lens. I attempted to clean my city lights yesterday using a mothers product. Worked very well on my tundra but saw minimal to no difference on the mercedes. I've also heard of people custom making their lens out of glass, which would be the permanent fix if possible.
Yeah, Mercedes coated their lights with some stuff so you have to remove the film off of the lens before you can polish. You do this pretty much the same way, except you have to use a sander first. Check out this video.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,108 Posts
I want to replace my '99 E430 headlight lens without having to buy the whole assembly. I have seen Halagon replacement Lens with gaskets available before can't remember where. But my problem is, I need the xenon ones and I have never seen them offered any where.
the parts diagrams appear to show the lens with individual part #s so you can try investigating in that direction.

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
Lenses are available and made by hella. They are bloody hard to find and the dealer does not stock them. I got them a couple of years back after searching high and low. The lenses in my 1997 E420 looked terrible after the car was vandalized and the solvents I used to clean the paint off the body (goof off) ate into the coating.

I think that they cost about $450 for the lenses alone. Which is cheaper then a new assembly i supposed. That was in 2009. Almost 4 years on, they still look great.

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6 AMG "Alma", 1990 190e 2.6 Black, 2001 230SLK Magma Red
944 Posts
I used this one and was very happy with it.

Pretty damn near close to prefect.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Removing the degraded lacquer coating is EZ, most use EZ Off order free oven cleaner on a microfiber rag - yes, don't get that on the paint - other's have used everything from Goof Off or 3M Adhesive Remover, some even have used brake cleaner - all on a rag of course. A bit of patience, then take a damp rag to remove residue.

Once the coating if off, then you can really decide if you need to do a polish or not based on if there are any significant chips or other surface dings, and frankly most MB lenses don't have that type of damage to justify that.

For US owner''s with Walmart close by it's $25 at the Walmart Auto Service Center for a polish and they use the 3M kit components.

Keep the beat !

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
Don't use goof off, it will eat the lens and cause it to blister. As mentioned, I had my car vandalized and they emptied about 5 cans of spray paint on it. The goof off did a good job of removing the spray paint from the painted sheet metal but as soon as it hit the lights, it ruined the lenses.

·
Registered
2000 E430 (base), 77 450SL, 89 420SEL, 97 E420
295 Posts
I had the same problem with my 00 E430. I tried at least 5 different methods of cleaning the lenses and although they came out looking better, they just didn't have the same shine even after re-coating them. After 6 months of searching, I replaced both with used OEMs for a total of $225. (one from ebay, one from a salvage yard). I sold the ones I inherited but before they left, I did a careful inspection of the seal around all the lenses and found that there were slight gaps which caused moisture and eventually road dust to accumulate and this was the cloudy issue that couldn't be cleaned up. I found a sticky (I think) for how to remove the lenses and clean the insides but the process takes an enormous amount of time and patience. What ultimately changed my mind was the projection assemblies (aftermarket) that came with the car were just junk from China which were worthless for night driving and blinded on coming traffic.

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
85 Posts
Don't use goof off, it will eat the lens and cause it to blister. As mentioned, I had my car vandalized and they emptied about 5 cans of spray paint on it. The goof off did a good job of removing the spray paint from the painted sheet metal but as soon as it hit the lights, it ruined the lenses.

Check out that video I posted above. I bet if you sand them down you can get the pits out of them. Then polish and they'll probably look pretty good.

Otherwise you can order new housings off of eBay for like $115 shipped (most likely aftermarket).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts