Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Euro 560 SEC AMG
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know a whole lot about a cars, but it seems to me that a 5.6L V8 engine (in a 560 SEC) should be producing more than 238hp. The new Pontiac GTOs have 5.7L V8 that put out over 350hp. Are the engines putting out to their full potential or are they really held back from producing power? What can be done to make the engine perform to its full potential, and the car as a whole.

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
well 5.6 liter V8 producing only 238 HP is really pathetic figure..

i belive the major bottle neck of these engines to product power is the 2valve per cylinder design..

second is the exhaustive cats..

and thirdly the compression in US specs

my 560 puts out 300HP and i dont feel thats enough..i means come on for the amount of fuel being burned in 5.6L-V8..i really expect more run for my fuel money..

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
The two valve overhead cam is good for making power so that's not an issue. The 1980 Porsche 928 Euro S made 300 hp out of CIS and 4.7 liters on a 2 valve motor. Our intake, throttle body, and exhaust are very restrictive on the US cars. Bump up the compression, extrued hone the intake, add Euro headers, and you should have an engine very close to the 300 hp mark.

You would need extensive head, intake, and cam work to break 340 hp in our cars. That's why supercharging is such a nice option. It pushes the air through all those blockages and makes real power that's affordable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts