Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 ML350 with the Lighting package. The lighting package is great and a great upgrade from my 2008 ML that also had the Xenon lights. These are a lot brighter and I illuminate the whole 4 lane Highway with these headlights. Which is great except for when I recently took it into the country. Let me rephrase that I loved it because it looked like a captured the sun and mounted it to the front of the ML. However the cars traveling on the other side kept on flashing me. I would briefly flash them to show that I did not have my High beams on. At which point some people just left their high beams on.

The ML is only Two weeks old and I'd hate to take it into the dealer to lower the lights if they are at the correct level and people just do not understand that the low beams are that bright and sorry they might sting a little. Anyone else have issues with these lights? Also when I put these lights on High beam...WOW I can see everything in front of me!

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
For a quick test, drive your ML up close to a vertical surface, like the front of your garage, and note the position of the center of each light beam. Back the vehicle up about 25 feet on a level surface and the beam should be below the initial point by about 1 to 2 inches. This is a crude measurement but will give you a rough idea if your beams are way out of alignment. If they are above the initial center point they are definitely adjusted too high.
Mike

·
Registered
71 Posts
I picked up my 13' 550 today with the lighting package... I see what you mean, the top of the defined light beam does appear to be in the sight like of oncoming drivers. I didn't get "flashed" but it's only the first night, not a long sample time. The low beams are amazing though, it's like driving around with enormous spot lights mounted on the roof and when the high beams go on its as though the sun came up...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,128 Posts
The ML is only Two weeks old and I'd hate to take it into the dealer to lower the lights if they are at the correct level and people just do not understand that the low beams are that bright and sorry they might sting a little. Anyone else have issues with these lights? Also when I put these lights on High beam...WOW I can see everything in front of me!
I have not driven at night much yet. Did you have Adaptive High Beam Assist activated?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had mine activated, pretty impressive system, the amount of roadway that it lights up is impressive. It also reacts quickly to other vehicles. Faster than the system in my previous grand Cherokee which was also from Benz.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Everyone for your replies.

Mike's ML, I will get back to you when I am able to test this out.

I at first was traveling with the Adaptive High Beam Assist activated. It worked faster then I could to lower the beams. It would even see the red tail lights of a car way in front of me and lower the High beams. However I was still getting flashed.

So then I reluctantly started to travel with just my low beams on, the lights are really good enough that on a dark country road you really don't need your high beams. I was still getting flashed.

I did some more research on the Topic and it appears that this issue is more prominent with us in the United States. Apparently the Xenon lights have to be high enough to light the road signs in the States but in Germany they are a lot lower because all the road signs are illuminated.

Even if it turns out I will just have to endure people flashing me, The lighting package is soooo worth it. It adds alot. And If you haven't driven at night with the lighting package you have to just take a road trip on a new moon to through an unlit road. It's amazing.

·
Registered
2019 X350d, 2017 GLE500e, 2012 ML350BT (sold), 2013 A200 Exclusive(sold), 2009 ML350CDI(sold)
250 Posts
I cannot accept your comment that US lights are different to German. They all conform to the same worldwide criteria.

Your lights must be poorly adjusted. Do Mikes ML's test to confirm it. Then correct the adjustment and the problem will go away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
iankayem, unfortunately I'm away for business for two weeks so I haven't been able to test out Mike's test. However here is the USA today article I read about Xenon lights and glare. USATODAY.com - Bright lights, big controversy

It's an old article and I've gone to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration website. I have found the survey that they conducted but I haven't found the ruling yet. Since this is 2012 I figure they must have found that glare while annoying does not cause a safety issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I doubt that that article is relevant since it's from 2001. HID's do need to be aimed properly otherwise they are blinding to oncoming traffic. I've had HIDs on my last 5 cars and have never had a problem. Havent received my new ML yet so I don't know if it will have the same problem as yours. I'm curious though....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dk10438: You would think so...I'm just saying I had the 2008 ML350 with Xenon lights and the Xenon lights on the 2012 ML350 are so much brighter. :eek: I'll get the dealer to adjust them since it's brand new.

I'd love to hear your opinion of the new ML HID lights since you have had a few to compare them with.

·
Registered
2017 CLS550
195 Posts
I have a question about the lighting package and Xenon lights. I bought my ML350 the end of May and I have only used the lights a time or two and have not really experimented with them. When the "Auto" setting is chosen, you do not have the ability to use the brights except by manual control, that is you can turn them on but must hold the lever as they will not stay on by themselves. When you turn the switch to the right of "Auto" you can set the brights and they will be on continually without holding the lever. Will the high beams in this mode dim automatically when it senses on-coming traffic? I seem to remember that in Auto mode the lights did something different for on-coming traffic but I can't recall if it dimmed the low lights, changed their position for the cars facing you or what. The thing I would like is to have my brights on all the time but have them dim automatically when there is on-coming traffic. Is this possible?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shortspark There are two settings. The Manual dial can choose between left, right parking lights and full parking lights, Auto and Manual control. The Other setting is enabling Adaptive Headlight Assist. This is done through the steering wheel controls and the driver setting menu. By default this is set. If you turn off Adaptive Headlight Assist then even in the Auto setting you can move the stalk back and keep the High Beams on.

Now with Adaptive Headlight Assist on and the headlight selector switch in the Auto position. When you push the stalk back it you should see a symbol that looks like a light symbol with a A. Anyway flip the switch back and forth and it will be the symbol that changes. :) Now once you go past 30Mph the front camera will look for oncoming headlights and tail lights in front of you... (not sure if that is all that it looks for) If it doesn't "see" these things then the Xenon Light will move up to the high beam level. When this happens on my car the lights don't get brighter they just illuminate more. When it "sees" tail lights and Head lights the beam moves to the low beam location no change in brightness. Then back up when it is clear to go high beam.

SO this might be my issue is that the other people might see the movement of the lights down but there is no change in brightness.

·
Registered
2017 CLS550
195 Posts
Thanks a lot Gunslinger! That explains it perfectly. I will make a trip at night soon with a copy of your post to check it all out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts