Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 e420 sport, 2001 e430
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1997 e420 has been out in 2 heavy rain storms this week. I am getting water dripping from the parking brake release area onto carpet. I always clean drains and the 4 plugs under the kick plate in the fall because of leaves. So that was just done. A visual on the sunroof drains on roof looked clear. Any ideas?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okay , I have checked all the water flow and everything is fine except the drivers side engine compartment. If I pour water down the windshield drivers side the water vanishes. How many drains are along the front wall and where are they? I know there is the big drain box behind the air cleaner.i've cleaned out the area of debris and can't figure out where the other drains are in this area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
the reason i mentioned if you had replaced the windshield is because my friend was getting water inside just like you but on passenger's side. it turned out the water was leaking inside from the windshield. in his case previous owner had replaced the windshield right before selling the car to him. first couple of years there was no leaking, but then he started to get water after going through car washes and when it rained. he was lucky because the glass guy was able to remove the windshield without damaging it and putting it back again and hopefully the sealant won't come off this time.
i'm not suggesting this is your case also, but make sure nothing is coming from side or bottom of windshield. do you get a hitting or creaking noise from windshield or dashboard when going over bumps?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No creaking but what your saying is definitely a possibility. I would first like to find out where the water box on drivers side is supposed to be draining to. Seems to be a problem. The car doesnt get water from just sittng in the rain. Its when you start driving that the water seems to be traveling along a metal rod behind dash and dripping. Would abad windshield seal leak only when driving?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok, rained heavy again and I am getting a small pond in the engine compartment directly behind the steering wheel. Seems to be traveling into car along rods coming off steering wheel. I dont see any drains in this compartment , though there are two rubber plugs in there that seem to serve no purpose. They are solid. Anybody able to help me out in terms of whats going wrong? Is there a drain for this area?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anybody have any knowledge of the drain system behind steering wheel in 97 e420?

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Seems to be what I am going through. Hope i can find the drain buckets without breaking cowl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts